Cherry tree in distress?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Spring_rain, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Spring_rain

Spring_rain New Seed

I have a sour cherry tree in my back yard. It puts out healthy cherries, but last year I noticed it was leaking a lot of resin, from both the trunk and the branches. There are big clumps of amber resin, and a couple branches lost their leaves.

It's too soon to see what it's going to do this year, but it really doesn't look normal.

2. Loading...

3. bullthistle

bullthistle New Seed

Cherry tree

You must be located on the Front Range or have the wrong zones. I was in Florence on New Year's day and it was good to hear a Denver station broadcasting as I crossed over the border along with the increased speed zone on I-70.

Obviously the cherry tree has been damaged, snow/hail or someother act of nature. The dead leaves are probably on the branch leading away from the damage and probably should be cut off. I am not an arborist but why don't you visit a garden center, not a big box store, and ask who they might recommend. Do not listen to anyone who tells you something without seeing the damage. If you cherish the fruit, it is a Montmorency Cherry?, you might want to pay someone to take a look at it.

4. mtathome

mtathome Seedling

Could be a fungus or borers. I'd ask a nursery too. So sad to see a tree become ill like that.

5. trudy

trudy In Flower