Christo's Got Nothing On Me

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This year we are growing two pea sorts--one is a low version of the Kapucijner and the other is a sweeter sort called "Polis". These are two types that we have grown before. The Kapucijner is a heavy producer and we use it in many different ways.
    The Polis we are using because of its reliability. It isn't as sweet as the" American Wonder", but is a better producer.

The preparations began last year by planting the plot destined to have peas with Phacelia, a green manure. The ground was then covered thickly with a mulch (which we removed again in the spring). Of course we could have dug it in, but this time it was set aside to mulch strawberries with and the rest went into the compost bins.

We then added composted manure and some fresh compost. We min-tilled it and raked it then let it be for three weeks.

I had germinated the pea seeds in situ this year and protected them with fine-mesh wire covers from the birds and mice.

Once the peas began to entangle themselves in the protective mesh, it was time to remove it and brace them with twigs from the brush pile. Sometimes I use netting or large mesh fencing, like chicken wire.
    [​IMG]

Once the peas had grown thick and high enough, it was time to apply the "netting". This is where my Cristo imitation comes in.
    [​IMG]

I let down the southern side (sometimes both sides) of the netting to expose the plants to the full sun.
    These plants are more or less half as tall as they ought to be, but are already presenting pods that are juuuuust about ready to be harvested. I ate some yesterday and estimate that it ought to be another few days, depending entirely upon the weather.

We have been having the most frustrating of patterns here with a day or two of dryness (sometimes with sun) and then rain for a day or two...and that is the way it has been going for weeks now. This way, the plants can't really get going because Mother Nature keeps pulling the emergency brake.
    This is not so bad for flowering plants, but for crops, it is having undesired effects.

Speaking of flowering plants it is past time for doing the "Chelsea Chop", but that is according to the calendar--according to the weather patterns here, it can begin now or next week. I have some Phlox, Sedum and Gaura that I want to chop on.

[​IMG]
    The Christo-netting doesn't look so imposing from afar, does it?
    The "netting" is made from inexpensive sheer curtain material bought at second hand shops or at the "material market" which takes place in the old city centrum once or twice a year.

Henry Johnson, Jewell and Donna S like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What do you need to use the netting for, though? I have never seen anyone put netting around their peas here. So I am curious as to why it is needed there.

The rain was a real problem for us last year, too. So I totally understand the frustration of it. This year it is the total opposite. We have had hardly any rain to speak of. We did get 1/2 inch on Sunday of last week and than another 1/2" on Monday evening, which staved off total destruction for a few of the crops, but we are quickly getting back to the "wilting weed"stage of dryness here, again.

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

looking good there sjoerd! i haven't heard of netting over peas either...but makes sense for the mice. birds like pease, too? i didn't know that!

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

My garden has about had it. Heat, lack of rain, weeds, health. Let's see, is there anything else I can blame it on.
    I love looking at your pictures and posts and now that I have a better internet I can see all of the pictures.
    dooley

Advertisement
  6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I love Christos and you're right he has nothing on you! Now you need a gauzy wispy scarecrow ghosty :)

When I was in college, I hung an old badmiton net in my tall window and grew snow peas up them, it was so nice to have a bit of green privacy that came with snacks Smile

moderator's note: removed double posting see point 3.6 of usage rules

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You may moan and whine, Sjoerd, but your garden looks delightful! At least you didn't have snow on June 1st, did you? :D Your weather pattern sounds very reliable with alternating every two days of rain and sun.

Joking aside, I do understand your frustration. We gave up trying to grow the veggies we wanted to grow, since we never managed to get them outside before they died from lack of light and my houseplant-neglect-habit. :(

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAROLYN--Hi. I use the curtains as netting to keep the birds off the peas. We have jackdaws (Corvus monedula) here that can decimate a row of peas literally in minutes. Blackbirds and thrushes also eat them. I'm beginning to worry about your dryness there. Is it affecting your Market sales yet?

Thanks BUNKIE--Yes, the birds are the biggest crop destroyers here on the lottie complex.

DOOLEY--Hey!--Congrats on getting an improved service provider for your internetting. I'm glad that you enjoy seeing the pics.

CRISGZR--Thank you. Glad that you liked the "Cristo technique". Ny across-the-sidewalk neighbour lady has a scarecrow, but it isn't what you are talking about. ;)
    What a clever trick to use that netting to let peas climb up in your (dorm?) room.

Heh heh heh, DROOPY-- No, I did not have snow on 1 june. What a terrible tease. What are like.
    Pity about your house-raised veg. Thanks for thinking that the garden looks delightful.I'm working on it when I have the chance.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AHHH, S, We don't have any birds here who destroy or eat any of the peas, Interesting! Our birds are swiping as many raspberries/blueberries as they can. As soon as we turn our backs they are raiding the patch. It is very dry here and the fruit is their water source, I guess. Although I do run water on the driveway where there are holes to collect the water for the day or at least for a few hours.

the dry isn't effecting the market yet. If we don't get some rain soon though our corn may not make as much as we were anticipating :( . the leaves are starting to curl again. we had an inch last week and it only wet the ground down about two inches. All is still really dry. The potatoes are starting to yellow and I think this is very early for that. I pulled a few last week when the foliage was still green and I was hoping the tubers would grow quite a bit larger before they dried down. I guess that is not to be. We do have an irrigation system set up for the large part of our garden(not the corn, it is across the road- no way to irrigate there) so we should not have to worry too much about the dryness. The cantaloupes are about fist sized right now and we haven't watered them yet. The first crop of peas have all turned yellow, though. I was impressed with the quantity of peas from the blue shockers... I am guessing about 40 lbs from the 1/2# of peas for the row.

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Your lottie is so well disciplined and the Christo-netting looks just in its right place. Wow!!! you really planned well having the soil prepared a year in advance. I really need to learn lots more about soil!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good grief, C--Our conditions here are just the opposite for corn. In fact I have lost some seedlings to the "damping-off disease". It is simply too wet and too cold at the moment.

Thanks for your comments, KK--Well, gardening for me is a year round affair. I am always planning it seems, short or long term. I believe that soil is the basis and main thing when it comes to gardening. It's importance can't be taken seriously enough. The more that you can learn about it and the more you can understand it and how it works,the easier it is to do gardening, I find.
    You seem to be doing pretty darn well with your garden though, don't you think?

12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Errr..... :-D :D :D

13. Brad

Brad New Seed

Dooley are you having the heat we are getting up here? It was 100+ yesterday and today and is supposed to be all week into next. :(
    I water in the morning and then check it a night. The sun is scorching the blackberries and the toms that are exposed to direct light but other than that no serious problems...yet. I have noticed a bit of blossom drop but that is expected with the heat.
    I cover my black and blue berries with bird netting or the cardinals will destroy them. I have 3 plants that I sacrifice for the birds. The chickadees are at the cherry toms a bit though so I filled up the bird bath so they can have some moisture. That has unfortunately started some mosquitoes.

14. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

great to see pictures of your plot this yeah sjoerd, were having the same issue with sun and rain cycles which is causing a lot of things to bolt.

our peas did well this year and we harvested the early crop a few weeks ago and going to harvest the main crop today.
    I'm trying to get two harvests of peas put of the same space this year and planted peas as soon as we harvested the crop. I'm impressed how quickly they sprouted and currently looking at 3" shoots from the second planting.

I like the idea of using the netting material, been looking for something like that for my plumb tree.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Congrats of the peas. I had a little sampling a couple of days ago. I am guessing that I can begin harvesting in earnest in a few days.
    The netting is essential here for protecting one's peas. I used the curtains to enclose limbs of plums last year and got a very decent harvest, without blemishes or holes made by birds or wasps. Perhaps you can find some at a "goodwill"-type of store.