Circular flower garden

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by dooley, Apr 13, 2009.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I started digging a flower garden in a circle around the windmill in the front yard.
    [​IMG]

I didn't get it finished and then it rained and we got busy with other things.
    Today the sun was shining and it wasn't raining so I went out and did some more digging.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It isn't quite finished but my knees told me to stop. I may be able to finish the digging tomorrow. Then, I can haul some compost for it. There is rain in the forecast for the latter part of the week so I'd best work fast. My knees though don't want to work any faster and I really can't push them. Well, I could but dr doesn't think much of the idea.
    The circle is twelve feet across.

dooley

2ofus likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

That's a big circle! You've done lots of digging there, I'm so impressed. Good luck with getting it done. Listen to DR, don't work too hard.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Wow, what a LOT of digging! Good for you but do take care of your knees -- and back. I wonder what you have planned for it? Can't wait to see. Your dirt looks nice and dark.

2ofus likes this.
  5. dooley

I want lots of different flowers so I have a wildflower mix, a cottage garden mix, a Hummingbird mix, a perennial mix, zinnias, lupine, salvia, larkspur and snapdragons. I will put some stepping stones here and there to reach the windmill if needed and to help with weed control. dooley

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It will be fun to watch.

2ofus likes this.
  7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Dooley, that is a lot of digging. Don't know how your knees held up. That is a large bed and I know it will be beautiful. Can't wait to see all the gorgeous colors.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really didn't expect the circular bed to be so big Dooley. You've certainly made a lot of progress with it. It's going to be beautiful once it's filled with all those flowers. :stew1:

2ofus likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You've worked very hard Dooley and I just can't wait to see it done and blooming. In your Texas soil it should be about one month :D

10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

It already looks great. I can't wait to see it with flowers blooming. Good job,Dooley.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

That's funny, Netty. (given the morning glory thing this a.m.)

12. dooley

This morning after riding a mile on that exercise bike I went out and finished digging the circle. I raked it down and put some walking tiles from the edge to the windmill. Then, I hauled five garden carts of compost from Glenda's big pile (well, not so big now) of compost. I only tipped one when a wheel went into a hole made by the resident armadillo. dr shoveled it back into the cart for me. We spread out the compost and then we dumped three bags of potting soil on it and spread that out and I watered it good with the hose. I didn't plant the seeds yet because we are supposed to have three or four days with rain the latter part of the week. I thought I'd wait and give the rain time to settle the compost and potting soil. I want to get some kind of low decorative fence for it but need to go look to see what kind we can find. I will post a picture when we find the fence or border material. dooley

2ofus likes this.
  13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    That is going to be one big beautiful circle garden. Can't wait to see the follow-up pics.

14. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Wow!!!!It will be blooming by the time I get home with all that compost.'It really will be beautiful and I may want to do mine the same way.Maybe I can get Kevin to help me.

15. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Your windmill is the perfect focal point for a cottage/wildflower garden. Can't wait to see the progress, dooley. Take care of your knees.

16. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@dooley, Were you able to get your flowers planted?