Citrus Tree leaves look really bad

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by PersianNerd, Jun 28, 2014.

1. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have a lemon tree in a pot that is doing the same or a similar thing. I am in Texas so we are about the same zone wise. Have no idea why,,!

4. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

I tried using malathion but it hasn't helped at all.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Could be any bug that uses the plants juices. Maybe Aphids, spider mites, leaf miners, scale insects and mealybugs.

Most likely leaf miners. If I remember right nicotine based pesticide products work in the soil.

My grandma would tear a cigarette apart and mix it in water and add all if it into the soil of the pot.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

I don`t think its a bug of any kind. I keep mine sprayed regularly. I am thinking a soil amendment of some kind. I think I may try the Epsom salts and see if it needs calcium. Mine is in potting soil which I rarely use but I used it here. I am also going to mix a plant food/fertilizer that I have used before and try that. Just made like compost tea but using horse manure with a little commercial 13-13-13.
    Looking at these pics,,it may be a bug on this one. I think mine is different with just similar symptoms.

7. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

Ill use some fertilizer but i think its a bug. which is odd because the pesticide i got is supposed to kill everything????? could it be something else?

8. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

You might want to take some leaves, twigs, and photos to your local agricultural extension agent and get his/her opinion... Over the last 10 +/- years there have been some new-to-USAgriculture pests and diseases appear with sometimes devastating results... That (your tree) could be suffering from one of them, e.g. 'citrus canker'...
    Hopefully not, and the damage to your tree is leaf-miners, aphids, etc.
    Hank

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I would lean towards a fungal infection rather than an insect issue.

10. PersianNerd

PersianNerd New Seed

yeah i went to ACE and they said its all due to leaf minors so i sprayed it with 7 or whatever its called and the guy was all like this will fix your problem 100%...... gah I'm about to give up on all this. i sprayed the trees so well see if it helped.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

PersianNerd, I hate to tell you, I don't think they have a clue what is wrong with your plant either, they are just trying to make a sale. Leaf miners make tunnels between the top and bottom layer of the leaf destroying the leafs ability to function properly. Hanks advise to take it to the extension service was good advice. They will help you way more than "hardware"helpers. who are earning a living selling stuff.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree with Hank & Carolyn. There is a devastating citrus disease plaguing Florida that the Dept of Ag is desperately trying to control. Potentially it could affect the state's whole citrus industry. If your plants have it, they will need to be destroyed asap.