Cleaning a mohair shawl

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Dec 28, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I was given a beautiful mohair shawl for Christmas. I wore it once and found that mohair gave me a most wonderous rash! So, I'd like to take it to the local nursing home to keep someone(who isn't allergic to mohair) warm. The problem is that I was also wearing perfume when I wore the shawl, and I can smell the perfume on it. Here's the question--can I simply wash the shawl in a mild detergent, or do I have to have it dry-cleaned? Obviously I've never had any experience with mohair or I'd have known it turns my skin red and bumpy!

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mohair fibers and wool fibers have barbs on them and when those rub on the skin that causes the rash on sensitive skin ...technically it's not an allergy. ;)

You should be able to gently wash it with a mild soap in cool water in the sink, you can use dish soap or let the water run over a bar of bath soap

Don't rub or agitate, that can cause shrinkage. Just put it in the water to soak, you can gently squeeze the water out, rinse and squeeze. Lay it flat to dry.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Don't you just hate that when you get a gift that is so nice but it hates you. Marlin--I know just how you feel. Wool and I do not get along well at all. Even if it is only a small percent my skin say's NO WAY are you going to wear that next to me. Hope you can find someone who will love it. ;)

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Thank you all! I have the shawl soaking in tepid water with a very mild soap, and after rinsing it I'll lay it on a towel on top of an old window screen.
    I called the nursing home this morning and asked if that would be an appropriate donation--I was afraid they would only want things that could be laundered in a machine. The answer was a big "yes!" since they have several wheel-chair bound residents with circulation problems, who are always chilly. I warned them about the possible allergic reaction, and was assured that the nursing staff knew who would be sensitive, and who wouldn't.
    So, your helpful answers are going to make someone warm and happy! Again, thank you very much for your help.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, I am so glad your shawl found a new home. You are so thoughtful. It will give more of us an idea of what to do with such an item in our own possession that we don't need/use.

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I am surprised that they accepted it. The local nursing home here will not accept any kind of woolen things and will just toss them in the trash. Apparently, it has to do with state regulations for how things are laundered, and woolens wont take the super hot water. I tried to donate some brand new woolen lap robes, and they refused them.

I am also allergic to woolens, but if I wear a garment of 100% cotton underneath, I can wear them.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Nightowl, I too was somewhat surprised that the home accepted the shawl. It is a small home, and has both rehab and long-term care so their "rules" are perhaps a bit looser than a strictly nursing facility. Whatever, I'm sure glad my shawl went to keep someone warm (and itchless).
    Here in Texas we don't have much opportunity to wear wool, but if I do I'll try wearing a cotton tee shirt underneath and see if that helps eliminate the rash.

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Allergic to wool. I suppose this means that you could not scratch a sheep behind the ears? Nice that the rehab facility took the shawl. It would be a shame to just throw it away.
    As child I was allergic to a host of stuff and was constantly having 'colds'. Animals however, were not on the 'keep away' list. I outgrew the list except for poison ivy. I am now finding that allergies are creeping into certain medications. Chemicals that I was never exposed to perhaps. Strange world of allergies.

Jerry