Clematis in Louisiana????

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Calamity, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Calamity

Calamity New Seed

I have seen some gorgeous Clematis growing in a lady's yard in Gonzales, Louisiana. Does anyone know the best variety for this area? The huge dark purple flowers I saw were located on the north side of a house, with some morning sun. I have heard that you must put the plant in the sun but provide coolness via mulch for the feet. There are only a million to choose from. What is the best source for the healthiest plants? I would love to grow a bunch of them. Thanks - Calamity :setc_034:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Cayuga Morning
      Replies:
      Views:

3. GardenFanantic

GardenFanantic Seedling

Clematis come in a wide variety of flower forms and colors. They can be divided into three groups based on habit and time of flowering. The first and second groups bloom on the previous season's wood while the third group blooms on new wood.

The first group are the early-flowering evergreen species which are suitable for warmer climates that lack severe cold. They require very little, if any, pruning. Cut them back hard when they are first planted.

4. Calamity

Calamity New Seed

Thanks for the info. I'll go look for some today.
    Calamity

5. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

We grow clematis here they do well so plant away I will get Sharon to tell you which variety I am variety challenged.