Clematis plant won't budge!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I have had this plant from spring 2012. It has not grown any bigger. I had planted it in the garden but brought it in the patio in a pot a month back to see if it helps the plant grow. I also fertilized with a miracle gro fertilizer. But no change at all. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

donna in nc likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Bigger pot..make sure roots are not girdling, full sun, keep roots cool with ground cover or other plants in pot.

Cayuga Morning and donna in nc like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have found that clematis just sit for a year or two without much growth, then they take off. I would put it back in the ground, keep the roots cool with mulch & just be patient.

donna in nc likes this.
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I planted mine next to the mailbox, it started out slow then took off. It now owns the mailbox, receives its own mail and is on a first name basis with the postman. I'm thinking about getting another mailbox. :-(

Jerry

stratsmom, Kay, AAnightowl and 3 others like this.

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

LOL!! Ok, I still have hope then.
    Full sun? I thought Clematis did well in shade, no? My other one is thriving in a partly shady area.

7. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

For the most part, Clems prefer to be in sun. You just need to have the base well mulched, or plant a groundcover to help keep the roots cool. I would put it into the ground in a sunny spot and practice your "gardener's patience".

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would either plant it in a deeper pot or even better place it back into the ground (perhaps in a different location). Clematis typically likes having its leaves in the full sun, but its roots protected and cool with regular moisture.

You may need to "fix" the hole in which you replant your Clem.
    You could make the hole three times the diameter of the root clump and dig the hole very deep so that once the hole has been filled with rich, moisture-retaining compost and soil, that the plant will sit 2-3 finger widths under the soil level.

There are some folks who would place a bit of phosphate in the bottom of the hole to stimulate root growth. I always put some seaweed kalk mixed with the compost. This is because I find that Clematises seem to do better for me if the ground is a bit chalky.

*A further note: I would fill the dug and prepared hole with water before lowering the plant into it and then backfill, making sure that the stems are deeper than they were.
    This will induce the plant to send up more shoots and help against Clematis wilt.

**Once the newly re-planted Clematis is all set, then you need to mulch it with a thick layer the mulch of your choice, or place some stone pieces around the base of the stems. This is to prevent too rapid and too much evaporation. As I have said, they like moist feet, but not too wet.--If you get the diff between moist and wet.
    What we want to achieve is to keep the roots cool and moist.

Good luck with your Clematis. What kind is it, BTW?

Frank and donna in nc like this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Sjoerd- It think I will take your advice. I have a clematis that is not doing well. A bunny keeps nibbling it and now it looks down right peaked. I wonder if it has clematis wilt. It is a Bijou-- one of the mini clematis's. Can I replant it deeper if it has already bloomed this season?

10. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I will surely follow your advice, Sjoerd.
    I am not sure what kind of clematis this is. I had gotten it from Jewel.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAYUGA--If your plant truly has "wilt", I do not know if replanting it will save it.
    You could add a nice, thick layer of soil or mulch and see if it survives. If you are considering transplanting it, I would wait until october-november or mid march.

TINA--I hope that your Clematis makes it. Too bad that you don't know the name of it. I am always curious about Clematises and how they behave.

12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Tina, it is a Clematis 'Nelly Moser'. If it won't grow I moved two more that self layered, and had to pot one up, have no place to put it. (Hint, hint...want another?) If I remember right that start didn't have much roots yet when you got it, so it is probably just laying its foundation. Once they get good roots they start climbing like crazy.

[​IMG]
    Clematis 'Nelly Moser' ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

13. Tina

Tina Young Pine

When you post pictures like that, Jewel, who can resist? Not me :D
    Let me see if I can convince the husband to make a trip over the weekend.
    Thanks a bunch!!

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I had one planted in the wrong location... I literally thought the roots had to be in the shade, so I planted it on the outside edge of a tree-line and had the trellis lead out to the sun. Didn't work.
    So I moved it to full sun and planted some Moss Rose around the base of it... and mulched it pretty good.
    It looks good, but hasn't started to put on new growth. I figure it's just getting settled in. I hope it likes it's new spot... because I really love those gorgeous blooms.

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Jewell, if Cayuga doesnt have room for another clematis, I have room for one or more... [hint, hint ;)]

Our church has a deep purple clematis that is blooming like mad right now. I have not found any in the stores yet, or I would have some. I could send you some tiger lily bulblets.

donna in nc likes this.
  16. Cayuga Morning

Jewell, How do you propagate clematis? I have a beautiful established plant (Clematis Texensis 'Princess Diana') but I have been afraid to try to divide it.

[​IMG]
    Princess Diana, just opening ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

AAnightowl likes this.