Close call!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

We wre in a tornado watch all night. About 2 am they changed it to a severe weather watch with a high wind advisory. The winds started up about 2:30 am and that is what woke me up. I couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and watched some tv. At 3:20 we had a burst of wind that took the top out of a tree right in front of the house and it just missed the front porch, I think. It's still dark and I can't see real well. Will take some pics after it is daylight. The wind has finally died down now at 4:30 am.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Capt Kirk
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Capt Kirk
      Replies:
      Views:

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I hope everyone is safe everywhere. These tornadoes are unbelievable. We were under a watch all evening and night and still now, and warnings off and on. Thankfully, no damamge, all is well here, but I feel for the folks who have been impacted....

Stay safe everyone.

4. Capt Kirk

Here are a couple of pics of the tree top. Guess I have a few repairs to make to the deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Capt Kirk

This morning they are saying 85 dead from Miss all the way from Georgia, from the tornado outbreak.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Wow, CK.... Thank goodness not worse... It really underscores the power of winds... Stay safe!!!

7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Good to hear your safe CK. Sounds like you guys to the south got hit pretty hard last night.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

OH, Captain, I am so glad you and yours are safe! It's a shame the tree damaged your deck. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the last of your bad weather and that the rest of spring and the summer will be lovely for you.

9. Capt Kirk

Our wind was associated with the cold front coming through. The temp. went from 64 F to 45 F in about 45 minutes. Now they are saying 178 people dead in 5 states from yesterdat's storms and tornados. Tuscaloosa Ala. had 61 I think. The pictures show blocks of houses totally destroyed. They say the tornado was a mile to a mile 1/2 wide.

10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Close call is right. Thank goodness the damage wasn't more severe. Your poor deck.

11. Capt Kirk

The tree came within 3 ft of hitting the corner of the house. Now they are saying 178 dead in the south with 120 in Alabama alone. The biggest torndo was on the ground for over 220 miles. On average the US has about 100 tornados during April. This April we have had over 800. And April isn't the biggest tornado month of the year either.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Wow Captain, Glad you are okay. Sorry to hear of the damage to your deck. We had some serious wind here, also. It woke me up,but I went back to sleep. Shame on me, I guess. So sad for all the others who were in the path of those twisters.

13. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

woh that was a close call, i bet your glad that that's all the damage it did. Just imagine that on your house...

crazy weather..

14. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

That was a big tree limb, close call Captain, glad to hear you are O.K.

Jerry

15. Capt Kirk

Actually that was the whole top of a Black Locust. But it's all cleaned up now and I will get some treated lumber this afternoon to make the repairs.

16. Capt Kirk

The repairs are complete. The bright wood is the new wood that I had to get for it. The Newell post had a decorative knob cut into it, but it got damaged, so I cut it off and put on a solar post light. I got the light at Home Depot for $3.99 . If it works good, I may get them for the rest of the posts.The batteries in it are the rechargeable AA so they can easily be replaced if needed.

[​IMG]