coir pellets - jiffy 7C coir pellets

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by GreggG, Oct 24, 2013.

1. GreggG

GreggG New Seed

Hello all:
    I am new to starting seeds. I purchased some Jiffy 7C coir pellets and am concerned about the membrane that covers the bottom of the pellet. There is an opening on the top for the seed but the membrane covers the entire bottom completely. After viewing a video on the internet I noticed that the pellets they were using for the demo had no membrane on the bottom. This was very evident when the expanded pellet with a plant growing in it was turned upside down. The roots were growing freely from the bottom of the pellet. This is a good thing. I have my doubts if the roots can penetrate this membrane on the bottom. What are your opinions on this ? Do you know where I can purchase coir pellets with no membrane on the bottom ?
    many thanks for you advice.
    GreggG

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gregg most of the coir pellets that are bought here in the UK have water soluble membrane on the bottom of them. Maybe yours are the same. If not then is it possible to peel the layer off the bottom of the pellets? It would save you having to buy another batch.

WELCOME TO OUR FORUMS BY THE WAY. :-D

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I was given a packet of those pellets. I just took a sharp knife and scored the bottom of the pellet (made an X) before wetting it and planting seeds. I'm not a fan of those pellets and prefer a sterile potting mix, but I had pretty good results with the pellets.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I am not a fan of the coir pellets after being used to the peat pellets. The membrane on the coir pellets is tough and hard to remove, even after they have been wet for a while. The peat pellets have a mesh that is much easier for roots to penetrate and also to remove. I no longer use the coir pellets for this reason. If I can't use peat pellets, I use pots and starter mix.

Advertisement
  6. jbest123

jbest123 In Flower

Welcome GreggG every time someone says Gessss, I will think of you. ;)

Have you considered soil blocks?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from jbest123's Garden )

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I, personally don't give it a thought. I like them best for propagating cuttings when I use them, though. I have never had a problem with the roots getting through the membrane either.

8. GreggG

GreggG New Seed

jiffy 7c coir pellet question - thanks to all

Thank you to all for your responses to my jiffy 7c coir question. I will look into the coir block rather than the pellets.Pellets seemed kind of expensive.

thanks again....

GreggG