Cold corridor advice

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Calintoronto, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Calintoronto

Calintoronto New Seed

Hi Everyone
    New to the forums, and hoping to ask you experts for some advice and opinions. We've recently moved into a new house, and we've been thinking about repainting some areas. One area in particular has given us a bit of a headache.

There is a somewhat narrow corridor leading from the underground garage to the basement. There is no natural light in the area, and so it is quite dim. In addition, because we're often moving things in and out of that area, the walls have quickly become scuffed and worn looking even though it's only been 2 months since we've moved in. It almost feels like a dungeon, even though it's inside our home!

We are wondering what are good choices in terms of color for narrow not well lit areas. I was thinkinf a darker color like burgundy that might give a warmer feel to the area, but my mother seems to feel that a lighter color would make the area less confining - personally, I think a light color in such a narrow space would just highlight the narrowness of the corridor and make things feel tacky.

We might be adding brighter lights, but there is 0 natural light. The walls are currently an off white and look terrible, especially when bathed in the yellowish glow of the lights we have now! We don't want anything too dramatic - just something that makes the place feel more welcoming.

I will snap some photos tonight and post them here - look forward to hearing some advice.

Thanks for reading!

2. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Cal, I think mother may be right :) It's the popular opinion that light colours make spaces appear larger. So if that is your aim go for the lighter option. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here's another trick you could try that fools the eye into believing that a narrow space is actually wider than it seems. If you paint a line about mid way between floor and ceiling, running the length of the corridor, on each wall, it gives the illusion of width. Also careful placing of mirrors can help to create a feeling of space.