Color Matching Help

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by Laetus11, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Laetus11

Laetus11 New Seed

I am a student with a very limited budget and I am looking to paint the walls of my room with a new color. My furniture is as follows: black bed frame (with base and headboard and such), black desk, white dresser/drawer,(all three are wood) purple bed sheets (which I guess could change for the sake of the room), and that cheap brown carpet. What could be a good color for the paint on the walls? Any type of suggestion appreciated. THANKS!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. the_troy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Laetus, would it be possible to get a photo of your room to give us a better idea?

4. dagardener

dagardener New Seed

Yes a photo will def help. If anything I would change the carpet. Paint is cheap also. so youll do fine on both. Brown carpet isn't really a color with the furniture you have.

5. Laetus11

Laetus11 New Seed

I posted five pictures of my room on the net. Here are the urls.

moderator note: image links removed because they were broken

I HOPE they all work.

I appreciate all types of suggestions. Anything can be changed except for expensive things such as furniture and carpet. Also, inexpensive additions would be great if you see fit. THANKS ALOT!

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there Laetus.

I would go for a much lighter colour on the walls. If you don't want to change your colour scheme too much then go for a pale lilac (or even ecru) instead of the heavy purple that way the room will appear bigger but you don't have to change anything else. Your purple bedding could stay which would save you money.
    Don't put gloss or satin paint on the walls though. Matt paint is the best as it doesn't reflect light. You could possibly pick up rugs in the same colour tones as your curtains which would detract from the brown of the carpet.
    If you have a Freecycle group in your area then you'll be amazed at what you can pick up for FREE.

Good luck and do let us see more photographs when your room is finished won't you?

7. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

Yes, lighter color on walls maybe feature one wall, different and paint that door!

8. qphomedecor

qphomedecor New Seed

What might work best is to go with the pale lilac mentioned by eileen above, white trim and definitely paint the door lol. If you're not too attached to the photo you might shop for one that has lilac and various purple tones in it and try it above the head board of your bed, I think it might just flow with the room better that way. The rug idea is also a great one as well. Can't wait to see the finished pics!

9. violet

violet New Seed

your room looks small because of the dark shade of purple, and lots of dark things around, the best you can do is, change the wall colors to white or light yellow, and go for a bright white light too,
    try keeping the bed covers and stuff in dark color to give contrast and please follow the same color theme.