Columbines...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sherry8, May 30, 2016.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry, are all those yours? They are magnificent, and look so full and healthy. Thank you for sharing!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Yes, they are and I even have more...some are hard to get a good picture of when they face down. The wind and rain has been coming down strong the last couple of days and some are knocked over but most are standing tall...thank you

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

SO BEAUTIFUL- not just because they are mostly pink either :) They are delicate fragile little guys that will pop up all over;)

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those are some lovely specimens. I really like those and like just letting them cross breed. One can get some remarkable hybrids.
    Yours are just simply stunning.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love Columbine! They are very short lived here, thankfully they re-seed so easily. You have some nice colors :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Beautiful blooms,..its amazing the amount of different shapes sizes and colours they come in.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. May I say another of my very favourite plants and another which has been developed a lot with now a range of most colours and larger longer spurred flowers - doubles also I believe - beautiful all.
    My gardening goes back to when so many of these moderns had yet to appear (as with many other plants). Columbines are a lovely old cottage garden plant ( I collected as many of these old plants all types as I could ) and were less showy then (mainly mauve pink - some white) though still as dainty and lovely. Once you had planted some you had them for ever and as they "crossed" and self seeded all around it was so interesting to leave as many seedlings as poss to let them grow on to flower and see what you had. Some stayed quite short - others grew quite tall - with the then "basic" colours and some appearing with white flowers and now and then a double flowered one appeared. As I recall the whites seedlings always had a much lighter green foliage and also as this self seeding went on I noted the plants did seem to lose a lot of their vigour. To keep todays larger flowers/colours now I suppose the thing is to replace them regularly. Good to hear others experiences with them.
    Just a thought that lovely as all the larger colourful flowers on so many different plants developed today are theres quite a number which have lost their scent because of it.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Odif and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Beautiful columbines and so many different colors and shapes! One of my favorite flowers. :smt023

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

A gentleman hired me to help him get flower gardens established. However, there were a few existing perennials. There were numerous columbines. However, they were all one color: Dark purple!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Petronius: will you keep them? Dark purple recedes in the landscape. How will you make use of them?

13. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

David's dark purple columbines all grew in one long continuous garden on the side of the house. The siding was a yellow vinyl. The dark purple columbines showed very well.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sounds lovely. I'd be tempted to throw a couple of yellow ones in there. Will you show us a photo when they come into bloom?

I have a patch of the purple ones too (I wonder if purple tends to be hardier ?) growing along our driveway. They were supposed to bloom with purple irises, but the timing is slightly off. I'll post a photo if I can find one.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018