Cool Weather Means Slow Growth

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The veggie gardens are doing ok...just so darn slow. We haven't had any temps in the 20's for weeks--so the plants grow, but at a snail's pace. It's no wonder when the night temps are 11-12°C! :eek: ...in June. It's almost unheard of here. One might expect something like this way up in Norway or somewhere, but not here. :-? heh heh heh
    This is not a hybred alliom show flower...it's a leek gone to seed. There were a few left in the old germination bed from last year so before my bride could jerk them out, I suggested we leave them until they have finished flowering. The will be lovely when they are fully open and they attract bees like crazy!
    [​IMG]
    The sea of potato plants looking eastward on the lotty copmplex. These are several plots beside eachother.
    [​IMG]
    ...and finally, here is a close-up of one of the tastiest things in gardening: corn...Here are the tassles of one of the corn plants. This is great news...I'm going to get the pots and pans ready for harvesting and eating right on the lottie!.Premature yoiu say...well a guy's gotta be ready, doesn't he? ;)
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Looks great! I hope you get to harvest corn on the cob. One of my favorite veg...can anyone say pass the butter?

4. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sjoerd did I read you right?You eat the tassles of the corn.I have never heard of eating corn tassles.Tell us about that please.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

So sorry Glenda. I wrote that in a very dumb way. I edited it, so now perhaps it makes more sense.
    We don't eat the tassles. :oops: :) (Sheepish grin).

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Is ok :):):) I was just wondering about it as we eat the male squash blooms battered fried. They are very tasty.

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

To me that all looks good! lol, i have to laugh because 11-12C or 52-54F is our high! But it will get warmer i hope. Your potatoes are looking great! And we can't grow corn here, too cold even with the hot weather when it gets here. Ohh yeah,,,hot weather is just barely over 70F or 18-20C. Then we are melting up here...lol.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your potatoes are really growing! Are they ready for the first tasting soon? We can't grow corn here either. The summer's generally too cold and wet. And low temps is something we also generally get, but we always moan about it. Every year. :D

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, Droopy... Ole Willum dug up four potato plants two days ago and had this paltry handfull of smallish spuds. I'm going to try and let them go another two weeks at a minimum...and if it stays this cold (10° at the moment) I may well let them go longer. The first ones out will be the Harliquin. I don't feel pressured to get them out until the flowers have finished blooming, although I did remove this sort last year at about this stage...maybe a bit earlier. They were a decent size and had lots of spuds on the roots, but it could have gone longer.
    As long as Phytophthera doesn't strike, I shall just let them continue.

Gosh..I can taste them with butter already. :p

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Everything looks good and healthy Sjoerd.
    I quit growing corn - the raccoons always got to it first!

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh darn, Netty! That's an unknown pest here. I didn't know they liked sweet corn. :eek: