Cornbread

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by toni, May 12, 2006.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

1 cup flour
    1 cup corn meal
    1/4 cup sugar
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    2 beaten eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup oil

Mix together (do not beat), pour into greased 9x12 pan, bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

To make this gluten free, substitute Corn Flour for the wheat flour. We really prefer the richness the corn flour creates.

In a pinch you can use melted margarine or butter in place of the oil

I do not recommend using the egg substitutes (you know the stuff that is egg whites only) it makes a heavy, really dense cornbread instead of the intended fluffy result.

2. Loading...

3. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

My family loves cornbread!! Thanks for the recipe Toni!!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I'm saving that!!! I don't think I've ever tasted cornbread - well not until now anyway!!! Thanks for the recipe Ju. I'll try to make time to have a go at the week-end. :-D

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Cornbread brought a story to mind. Back when I worked for the auto industry, I was at my desk in the office when one of the engineers asked a question about a formula he was working on. He needed a factor for it.Another engineer answered that would be Pi R Square.
    My boss looked up from his desk and said,"Oh no, Pie are round, cornbread are square." At about that time we all noticed that a group of executives from Chrysler was in the room. They were part of a group that was checking the possibility of buying our company. They were all giving my boss strange looks. They rest of us just sat quietly. DR

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Eileen,
    when you try the cornbread be sure to have butter on hand or even better is honey butter.
    If you have a chili recipe you like or a special soup, cornbread would be wonderful with it.

Also, beans, rice and cornbread. Known as the poor college students meal when I was supporting my ex while he was in college.

7. brooker882

brooker882 New Seed

hmm sounds so tasty I cant wait to try it out sometime next week when I go grocery shopping this weekend! ill let you know how it turns out... im not that great of a cook!

8. Crazy Orchid Lady

Crazy Orchid Lady Seedling

Geeeze! Tom and I were just talking about cornbread last night - were you reading our minds??? We're going to have it with fresh caught brookie trout and corn for dinner tonight. Gotta have lots of butter & honey with it, I think its a rule and who cares about a diet when you're eating something sooooooo delicious!

Another way to make it is to replace the fluids with applesauce, makes for a wonderful sweet texture and you don't need quite as much honey on top.

In the southwest, we add jalapenos and canned corn for a different flavor yet, don't recommend butter and honey with this version but do recommend a good lamb stew.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I do not add sugar to mine as I'm not a sweet eatter and if I put sugar its just a smidgen .I have to have it hot and buttered (and no honey).I love Poor Boy soup and cornbread are Homemade beef vegetable soup.I also have it with Chicken And Dumplings as thats how my mom loved it and it is soooo good

10. glendann

Oh I forgot, I love fried catfish and cornbread .Also any pork with it.

11. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I LOVE sweet cornbread!! Love it love it LOVE IT! Fresh out of the over with some butter and honey!!! YUMMMMM!!! I always cook mine in one of my cast iron skillets or pots. Oh I think I see some chili in our near future!!! LOL

Eileen I cant beleive youve never tried cornbread!! Girl you have got to try it! Its easy to make! Cant wait to see what you think!

12. glendann

Pinkiered some do and some don't and I just am one that don't .My mom did too.
    I don't like it with chili I want crackers with Chili.

13. Crazy Orchid Lady

Ohhh, and the next day break it up and add milk and eat it like cereal the next morning or later than night (its gotta dry out just a bit) as a late night snack. Add a bit of sugar... yuuuuuummmm!

14. glendann

Yes ,cornbread and milk with bacon crumbled in and chiped up onion salt and pepper.I am a salt nut I prefer
    salt to sugar.

15. Crazy Orchid Lady

never had it that way, I'll try it, sounds goooooood!

16. glendann

It really is