cosmos

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by dooley, Sep 15, 2006.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

In the spring, I planted cosmos along with a few other seeds in the other backyard. They started to grow and then just stopped. When the rain started they grew and grew and grew. Here's a picture of how tall one is now. I am 5ft5in tall.
    [​IMG]
    See the little flower at the top. It is about an inch wide. I thought so much went into producing the BIG plant that it was going to produce very small flowers. Today, DR took a picture of the same flower. I think the rain made it grow some more. I thought once it bloomed a flower didn't get any bigger. Contrast: First is the little flower.
    [​IMG]
    Then, a close up of it bigger.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't do a very good job editing the little flower.but you can see how small it is in the picture with me. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I think the perspective is off on those pictures. The big one is way bigger than the little one. It is about 3 inches around now. Dooley

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have chocolate cosmos in the garden for the first time this year. They really DO smell of chocolate (mmmmmm) and are such a rich dark reddy/brown colour - really lovely. I think I'll try more cosmos next year as they seem to do quite well here.

5. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

I can't seem to grown cosmos in my garden. And I love them. They remind me of my grandmother's garden.

Advertisement
  6. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I thought that cosmos was an annual but have had white ones come back the last two years without me having planted them.

7. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

They are an annual here in New Orleans, and a short lived one at that. The first sign of heat and the cosmos are gone.

8. reggaefan

reggaefan Official Poet Laureate

We have had very little luck with our Cosmos this year yours however are beautiful.

9. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Eileen,
    Are the chocolate cosmos perennial? I may have to try them again at some point if I ever can find room for new things.

muddy

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

They are so pretty but I never had any luck with them here in Texas just to dang hot.

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm not too sure if they are perennials or not muddy. :-? I hope they will set seed though as they may not survive our Scottish winter - keep your fingers crossed for them.