cucumbers floped this year how bout yours ?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Cerwin, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Cerwin

Cerwin New Seed

Hello all

I planted a ton of cucumbers this year as I normaly do but unlike noramly hardly got a cuke !!

I hear that thier was an air born virus traviling in southern Ontario canada this year that caused this ?

My cucumbers started off fine but the vines quickly yellowed and sriveled way befor they should have and the cukes that they did produce were small twisted mutalated and not much good at all.

I am wondering if any one eles here had simmilar problems or if they could give me more infromation on this virus ?

This also affected my pumkin and squash crops as well.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hello Cerwin,

This is all I could find out about the virus's that affect cucumbers.

http://www.agr.gc.ca/cal/epub/1684e/16840009_e.html

I hope there is some info on the website that may help you understand the problem with your cucumbers.

It's always sad to lose a whole crop to some unseen enemy. Somehow it's better if you can actually see what is affecting your plants. Are you going to plant again in the same area next time around? If so, will you sterilize the soil first in case the virus is lying dormant in the earth?

I'm glad you joined us here at GardenStew and posted about your cukes as others may have had their crops affected the same way. It always helps to share info about our plants - good or bad.

4. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

None of my seed germinated last year so I did not even try this year.

muddy

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Mine made a few but I thought the heat got to them .They did shrivel up pretty fast.Usually they really do good but also I went on vacation to Montana and they didn't get much attention while I was gone.

Advertisement
  6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I'm way down in Louisiana and ours did about the same thing. They started off fine, we got some really good ones then they "mutated", summer and fall plants.

7. Cerwin

Cerwin New Seed

Thanks eileen Great site will have a lot of reading ahead of me lol

Will replant cucumbers next year but have the advantage of space and can rotate my crops which is what i will do so they will not be in that same area .. just to play it on the safe side

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I actually had a couple of cucumbers to pick this year for the first time EVER! I will try again next year for sure. According to the local "pumpkin man", it was a bad year for all the vines (cucumbers, pumpkin, squash etc) with most people only getting a quarter of the regular harvest. Maybe there WAS something affecting these plants in Ontario Cerwin.