Cutting Perennials

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Sep 30, 2010.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Good Evening everyone, I have a couple of questions # 1 is is Lavender suppose to be cut back in the fall? And how much do you cut back? #2 And the same question on the Salvia They were jut little bitty plants when I bought them this spring but now they have just about taken over the beds, Don't get me wrong I love it, But I just don't know what to do for fall. #3 I have petunias in my front bed it was just one small plant and it has turned into a massive beautiful plant. But I don't see any seeds any where. Do all petunias have seeds? I sure would love to have them again next year They were just a joy this spring. Thank you so much Margie :stew2:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from margie12u's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't cut my Lavender back, but I do cut back my Salvia. If you can't find any seeds on your petunia, why not try to start a cutting and grow it indoors :)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here in Texas we cut back salvias twice--in late June or early July, and again in January. This stimulates bushier growth and more blooms.
    Hybrid petunias, which most are, will not set viable seeds. There are native varieties that self-seed.
    Lavender is best left alone. Just remove any dead or broken stems.