Daffodils and Tulips

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Oct 7, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I ordered daffodils to plant in the shrub border for some spring color, also some specie tulips that are suppose to grow in deep shade, and two colors of lily flowered tulips, Mariette and Marilyn. Since the weather has turned nice I'll get them planted tomorrow. I'd plant more spring bulbs if the dying foliage didn't look so bad. I've tried to plant them behind perennials but I can still see the ugly dying leaves.
    Anyone else planting bulbs?

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I will be planting my bulbs in two weeks. It will be crocuses and a certain type of tulip...these are primarily for my bees, so they won't be the really fancy ones.
    Yeah, it's getting to be that time. I get almost as much fun out of choosing the bulbs and planting them with expectation as I do actually seeing them.

4. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

I think I planted tulips this year but they didn't germinate, i've got some bulbs for daylilies myself this time around, and hope they do germinate this time! (I think some evil critter had dug the tulips up and ate them or something before they could grow -_-.

Are all bulbs planted in the fall? the ones i have suggest I plant them after the last frost. Which are daylilies and Gladiolus'

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have bulbs to plant too. I dug up a few clumps of mine as they were getting very crowded and will spread them around the yard. I have Cammassia, Hyacinth, Daffodils and Muscari.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey Netty---did you know that my Muscari have already come up and I have had to clip their leaves twice already. Great Scott!

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, I don't think you are suppose to trim the fall foliage of muscari. They start growing next years foliage in the fall. It protects their shallow planted bulbs and gives them jump start on spring blooms. At least that is what I have read and have always done.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I just remembered I was going to add that I am the worlds worst for digging into my dormant bulbs so this year I'm going to paint fist size rocks like ladybugs and place them next to the bulbs. That should keep me from mutilating my bulbs and also help me adhere to my 'no more cussing' rule! ;)

9. AbundantBlooms

AbundantBlooms New Seed

I planted many the first fall we lived in this property, and that spring they all tentatively came up and were pretty. Then that summer at some point a critter ate most of the bulbs. We don't really have squirrels around here but at the time we were having a gopher problem so I think that might have been what happened. The ground they were in was all tunneled through and the plants themselves were pulled in by the bulb it appeared.

I just bought like 6 packages of bulbs of several kinds on super-sale and I haven't put them in the ground yet. I think I'll just save them for forcing indoors this winter. Not sure I wanna feed the critters again.

Oh, and I have free ranging chickens and we've fenced off the back yard where we play and where most of my gardens are to keep them out, but the front where the old bulb bed is they can get to and tear up.

Ah well. I dunno yet.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Daylilies and Glads are typically Spring planted bulbs, they require hotter weather to establish, grow and bloom and if you live where winter is long and cold you need to dig those bulbs up in the fall to protect them. If you live where winter is a maybe thing like I do, then they over winter in the ground with no problems.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oops!-- I have been trimming them every year. Oh dear me. Well, they DO come up each spring in spite of their mutilation. Perhaps I ought to hold off for the rest of the winter.

Thanks for the info 2of.

12. Green Fingers

Green Fingers Seedling

We are planning to add couple of more fruit trees in the front yard in raised beds so last weekend I picked some tulips, hyacinth (both in the shades of blue) and daffodil bulbs for the tree beds.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hee, hee, hee 2of-- I forgot to say that the rock-planting was such a good idea. They will indeed help with bulb mutilation...and the "no more cussing"... cackle. :D

Somehow, I can't picture you cussing thopugh.

14. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

I planted tulips in my raised bed this week. The second night the deer came and dug them out of one corner. Next day I went out and covered them with a netting. Didn't help. They just pawed back the netting and ate the rest of them. They also ate the seed block for the birds and broke the bird feeder. Now,these deer are not starving. They have pilfered out of the neighbours all summer. They can't get into ours because we have electric fencing. I think the tulip eating episode was just to get back at me because they couldn't try our vegetables! Aha.. but hunting season starts in a couple of weeks. (smirk) The fawns are cute and I love to look at mama and papa deer but not when they are ruining my flower beds.

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Oh I can have a potty mouth but I do try to limit it...mostly. :oops:

16. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I planted endless amounts of tulip bulbs last Autumn.