Dahlia top heavy and falling over...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hello everyone, been a while. I have been up on my roof shoveling snow almost every other day!
    I bought a few Dahlia plants last summer. They did very well except that the blooms were very big and heavy. The thin stems could not support the weight and they all fell over. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what did they do about it. I took my Dahlia plants in for the winter but plan on re-planting them again this spring. Thanks for any help. Keep warm.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I bought some Dahlia roots the other day and the instructions mention that the blooms may need to be staked for support. I keep lengths of bamboo and green zip-ties to use for supporting tall blooms like, Glads expecially, you might try that.

4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Toni,
    Thanks, I will do just that. :-D

5. weedyseedy

weedyseedy New Seed

Almost all dahlias except little ones need heavy strong staking especially the big dinner plate ones as the the big flowers get heavier when wet and a foot across---I knew better but a big yellow hit the mud. The stems and foliage are lush, watery, and easily broken. I don't do so well at keeping the tubers over winter-they always die, but they are not that expensive. -------------Weedy