Damping off this year...

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by carolyn, Feb 20, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have had some damping off this year, which is driving me crazy, BUT i found an organic miracle solution... CINNAMON, yes cinnamon. just sprinkle it on. I hope it works. Has anybody else heard of this or used it?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, I've heard of using cinnamon, but no, I haven't used it myself. I usually prevent damping off by spraying with a baking soda solution (1 tsp. baking soda in 1 pint rainwater). However, if it shows up I'll try sprinkling the cinnamon.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My tomatoes started damping off AFTER I transplanted them. The stems were nice and sturdy and then the fungus attacked. I actually ended up pinching them and now I am trying to root them:rolleyes:. I have not had any damping off since I started growing seeds..... :scheming:. I must have used infected mix...It was left over from last year and I thought there wouldn't be any problem using it.

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I use Copper sulphate.

Advertisement
  6. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

very interesting Carol :-D
    I use it , to my orchid
    if it shows up fungus I'll sprinkling the cinnamon.

7. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

I think the spores of the "damping off" fungus are in the air, but of course they could be in soil too. The one biggest thing I try to NEVER do is...after the seeds sprout and are moved to a nice spot under bright light, don't wet the surface at all, not even once. I water them from the bottom by feel. I mean by that, that when they feel heavier they have taken up some water. Don't let them sit in water long enough to soak the whole soil mass.