Deja vu, The curse of caladiums.

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I'm sure the caladiums don't feel that way, however. Last year in early May as the weather warmed up I planted about 25 caladiums in 5 large pots, then the clouds moved in, with them the cold temperatures and rain. As the days came and went the cold damp rainy weather persisted. Not a peep from the caladiums. Two weeks later I dug out the tubers noting that one pot had succumbed to a bacteria and had turned to a slimy goo. For the most part the others survived to later become showy leaves of summer. This year I decided to plant the caladiums a month later, trying to avoid the coldness of May. I no sooner planted the caladiums then the cold, rainy, damp, miserable weather descended upon the area. A look at the long range forecast? No end in sight. I wonder if digging the tubers will bring back sunny warm weather? Or perhaps .......

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Gee you might be able to control weather with caladiums! I think there's a market for that :)

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Dig'em up! If that works I'll copy your recipe. We need warmer weather too. :D

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What bad luck, mate. Just terrible. Too bad you don't have a greenhouse to place them in temporarily...or even inside.

That is really bad luck. Good luck though, I hope you don't loose them all.