Did I plant the hydrangea right?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I planted the hydrangea I bought for fathers day. I planted it in the front yard. It will get some sun but hopefully not too much. The question I have is, the plant seems to be very short and with the flowers, it is flopping over. Is that a problem? Will the plant grow properly? Or should I just plant it in a bigger container? Did I dig deep enough to plant?
    Too many questions , I know. I love hydrangeas and just want one in my garden to do well.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your nice Hydrangea. :D

In my experience they will flop over a while after being brought home from the shops. The growers push the growth and bloom size and the stems aren't strong enough to stay upright. Some growers use growth hindering remedies to get a bushy, small plant with huge blooms. It just looks more "wow" that way I guess.

(A lady working at a chain store nursery gave me this info.)

4. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

The main concern with the location of your hydrangea is when it gets sun. They like morning sun. If they get mid-day to late sun they will droop and the leaves will brown on the edges.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'd sure like to have a hydrangea :D But, they don't stand a chance in this climate :rolleyes: I hope yours grows huge!!!

6. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

i didn't know that gfreiherr . . . mine misses all the morning sun, and has been getting a little crispy round the edges :-? looks like she could be on the move