Did I stunt my corn's growth?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by CrazyHorseFarms, Jul 1, 2009.

1. CrazyHorseFarms

CrazyHorseFarms New Seed

ok remember my corn i started indoors in April? Well i transplanted it May now in July 1st its growing corn and its not ready till Aug is there something wrong with it?
    its almost waist high
    Think i stunted its growth?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

[​IMG]
    see how the weird it looks? ( photo / image / picture from CrazyHorseFarms's Garden )

[​IMG]
    see? ( photo / image / picture from CrazyHorseFarms's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Perhaps you did stunt its growth by transplanting it.

But hey, what the heck. That corn will grow and ripen long before anyone elses does. You will be the envy of your neighbourhood having fresh corn before everyone else.

Gotta always look on the bright side! Right? ;)

4. petunia

petunia Young Pine

My first planting of corn was transplanted at the same time farmers here were just getting their corn in the ground. I spread the roots out but then was told I shouldn't have done that because it can slow down the growth of the corn. Now my second plantings of corn (about 3 weeks ago)which was put right into the ground is catching up to my fist planting. Anyway we'll have corn in stages this year. I say just keep 'em watered and you'll have corn.

5. Wisconsinwench

Wisconsinwench New Seed

I live here in Wisconsin and I tried to grow corn, but dog gone it, it just wouldn't grow. I mean, it did come up, but it didn't grow very tall. Now, I'm short so on me, the first year it wasn't even waist high. The next year, it was slightly taller, but just like the year before, it didn't produce anything. The year after, it was the same hight as the year before and I got maybe one or two fat little ears but there was a strange looking growth on them. I later found out that Mexican's would pay a lot of money for that growth because they eat it, (shudder). Now, farmers all around me grow corn with no problem, so I don't why I have problems. I think maybe there is something missing in my soil.
    So, I gave up. Crazyhorsefarms, did you make sure you planted 4 rows of corn? It is best to have 4 rows of corn.

6. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

It is best to wait until the ground is warm enough and plant your corn seed directly in the ground. If you wait until the first of August to pick the ears on the stalks now your corn will be hard. Peel back the layers of the corn shuck just below the silk and pierce a kernel with your thumbnail it should be milky. You should harvest the corn during the milk stage.