Do I have to do anything with my over wintered geranium?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I over wintered a white geranium from last year.It is growing in a pot in the basement and has 3 stalks with some green leaves. Do I have to do anything before I plant it to the ground in Spring (March end or April)? What if I leave it alone and replant it outside or on a larger pot? Do I have to prune it? I just dont want to kill it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

This time of year I usually cut my overwintered geraniums back. They tend to get 'leggy' over the winter. Depending on the size of your pot, you may want to re-pot with some fresh soil as well.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Last years Geranium is hanging upside down in the basement waiting for spring. Last fall I took it out of it's pot, removed the soil and hung it up. The basement is cool, between 50 and 55°F. Some people trim the plants back, others wait till spring and then trim the dead parts away. It will be replanted in March and will again be in the garden toward the end of May.

Jerry

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I give mine a good "haircut" about 2 months before I put them back outside. Gives them time to recover a little and they look better :-D

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You can prune them, let them (the prunings) sit inside of plastic bag for a day or two and insert them in damp potting mix (use a little rooting hormone if you have it) and put a plastic bag over them (out of direct light) and keep them misted occasionally and you can start a few more for you flower beds or to give away...

stratsmom likes this.