Do I Need To Replant Hibiscus Periodically?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by NemaToad, May 14, 2009.

1. NemaToad

NemaToad New Seed

I bought 2 hibiscus plants 3 years ago and they don't seem to be producing flower stalks as profusely as they did the first couple years. The whole surface of the ground where I planted them is covered with the hard stubble from previous years stalks that I cut down. Can this be preventing new ones from forming? Do I need to dig up the plant and break it up to give it more room every couple years?
    One of them isn't showing any sign of coming back at all yet.

John

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have had one of my hibiscus for about 5 years and one for about 3 yrs.I have never had to do anything except feed them food.The old stalks
    never bothered mine from blooming.I do cut the old stalks off after the first frost and cover the roots wirh compost and bark..

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

you might check your soil. They like it slightly acidic and a 7-2-7 fertilizer. My perennial Hibiscus looked absolutely dead and is now coming back to life.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Do you have Hardy or Tropical Hibiscus?
    My hardies have been in the ground more than 6 years, never moved. I cut back the dead stalks sometime during the winter.

They need hot weather and full sun. Mine down here in north Texas just started putting up new growth earlier this month, maybe yours just need more warmth before they show up.

Advertisement
  6. NemaToad

NemaToad New Seed

Gardengater, I'll look for that fertilizer.

Toni, I have no idea what kind they are, but they have survived up here in our Michigan Winters foir 3 years so I imagine they are the hardy variety. I bought them from a reputable local nursery so I'm pretty sure that they are meant to grow in our area.

They are in our front yard on the north side, but far enough out from the house so that it doesn't shade them. They do get a couple hours of shade from a tree though.

Thank you all!

John

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Mine only gets morning sun and blooms and blooms.The one I had in full sun did not make it through a complete summer.I have mine by my house and evening sun never hits it.I also have a Star hibiscus and treat it the same way.It has come out and doing well its third year now.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It is still a little early here in zone 5 John. I'd give it a little more time.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You are far enough south where even some full sun plants benefit from protection from the hotter afternoon sun. Mine needed more protection last year than any other because of the relentless sun for months on end.