Do rebloomers really rebloom?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gardengater, Aug 31, 2008.

1. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I have had it with what claim to be reblooming flowers. I've put in a daylily (has bloomed once), reblooming Azalea (blooms only in spring). I want to invest in some reblooming Iris, but will it really bloom more than once? :smt013
    Gardengater

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've no idea. I usually go for those with long blooming periods. We get reblooming on some of the rhododendron and a couple of the early spring bloomers now and then, but I never take it for granted.

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Well, I guess I'll believe it when I see it and enjoy what I get.
    Gardengater

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

The azaleas up here in Vermont only bloom in the cooler months. Once they bloom in May and June they are done. They rebloom the following spring. I think it comes down to your zone. They may be saying that they rebloom the following year. Our day lillies up here bloom and then are done. the longer they are planted the more stems and blooms you will have.

Advertisement
  6. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

What about "Endless Summer" Hydrangeas? Many Nurseries sell "rebloomers" supposedly to bloom spring and fall, Gardenmama. We'll see.
    Gardengater

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have iris that rebloom. But...it is not a very impressive show, doesn't come close to the spring bloom. But I'll take what ever I can get :-D I think it just depends on the weather :rolleyes:

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Thanks Stratmom;
    I might go ahead and try. I do like something other than dying foliage from spring plants during the summer.
    Gardengater

9. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I have an endless summer hydrengea and it was gorgeous when I bought it...and the last 2 summers I only get 1 bloom on two plants...but it blooms for weeks! LOL...I think it isn't happy where it is...I think it depends on where you are and what kind of winter you have. My winter kills the hygrengea to the ground and it takes most of the spring into July to grow back, then it blooms. If you live somewhere where the winter isn't too rough you will probably bloom all spring and summer.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

many of my flowers have re-bloomed this year--but that's not normal.
    I have two plants billed as re-bloomers and they are both Clematisis. They do in fact bloom twice for me.
    Clematis 'Freckles' and Clematis 'Josephine'.