Do Rose Bushes Get Too Old to Flower?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Oct 5, 2009.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

While helping in my aunt's yard this spring, she wanted to get rid of a rose bush that belonged to her mom. I'm guessing the rose bush has to be at least 40 years old (or older). I took the rose bush home and planted it in a large container. It's growing... growing... growing. I fed it rose food at least once a month. But it didn't produce one single flower bud.
    Is it too old to produce anymore? Or should I have fed it more?
    Also... I plan on moving it out to my mom's place so I can get it out of the container. When's the best time to transplant it? (I'm in the Houston TX area)

2. Loading...

3. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

After transplanting anything, the plant will take awhile before it's settled in and ready to flower again. Roses need full sun (6 hours or more would be great) in order to bloom. Transplanting is best done when the plant is dormant...here in Wisconsin, that's best in spring (transplanting in fall doesn't always give the rose time to get roots established before the frost sets in). Good luck!

4. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

it will snap back just needs to get over the shock
    I have seen roses that are over 100 years old

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I suspect that the rose will begin blooming next year, if it settles-in.
    You might also consider pruning it back a bit hard once it is in its final resting place and has settled-in. This will encourage strong root development healthy shoots. It may bloom better for you as well.

I would guess that it would be good to plant that rose into the ground nov-dec.

Roses like a slightly acid and free-draining soil. If your ground is not like this, you can dig the hole deeper and wider so that you can work-in some well-rotted compost.
    Whilst digging, sprinkle some "rose fertilizer" on the dirt.

It is ideal to then leave your filled hole for four weeks to let it normalize, or consolidate as they say.
    After that point you can then dig out a bit of the prepared ground and place your rose down into that.
    Put the wellie to it---(heel it in carefully and gently).

**Do not transplant the rose to a place where another rose has been. This would put your rpose at risk of the various "rose sicknesses".

**If the new site for the rose is near a fence, make sure that it is at least 15 inches away from it so that rainwater can reach it properly.

**Water the rose well during periods that it doesn't rain for the first year so that it doesn't dry out.

Good luck with that rose, Cheryl. I know that this more info than you asked for, but perhaps it will be helpful.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Good luck with your rose! I have some that are at least 50 years old. They still bloom very well... even though they were just eaten up with black spot this year. Sjoerd, I appreciated all of that info too.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are welcome, Daisy. I had a problem with black spot this year too...and finally lost the battle. I wasn't happy, but bouts with Mother Nature produses the following philosophy: "Some days you get the 'gater, and some days the 'gater gets YOU"!
    Ach. :)

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great info everyone. I'll do my best to get that bush flowering again.
    thanks!