Do you have a lot of containers?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, May 15, 2012.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I'm starting to get even more.Went to local park flower sale.Seen sign free pots.So that meant had buy more soil and plants.I cleaned them with bleach water. And got soil.Got 2 more to plant some zinnia seeds and glad in.Have to wait and see if they have GOOD potting soil.

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Funny thing, I was just thinking about my extra pots. I have enough, cleaned and bleached and stored carefully inside each other according to size, to fit into a 12X12 space 8 feet high filling every space having no isle. I have some in the attic of the back building and some in the 8x12 greenhouse. So dumb that the small greenhouse is just used for empty pots. I need to go through all of these and get rid of the extreme amount that are there.

ONE DAY......

Some were from plants we bought for the yard, and some were given to me.

Barb in Pa.

4. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I like moving the smaller ones to area where flowers are done blooming. Took of plastic ones to recycle center.. The big glazed ones would have to bring inside mud room for the winter. Learned hard way old antique crock cracked bottom came out.. till use it-put saucer under it. Got some spray paint for plastic to make some of the containers pretty.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have three shelves with stacked pots in the barn. They are of all sizes, even two or three that trees came in. I use them to cover tender plants when I jump the gun and plant too early, and of course to put starts and extras in.
    I also have a dozen or so ceramic/clay ornamental pots, which we got in Mexico. I dearly love those and often shift them around the yard. One is so large I have to use the dolly to move it!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I just took a bunch of the black plastic pots to one of the nurseries. And I noticed that Lowe's is now accepting them back for recycling (what took them so long?)
    I keep a supply of all sizes on hand. One side of the garage is for "good" ones I keep for myself and on the other side, cheapy one's to give plants away in.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

One of my customers owns a grocery store.I just brought them a cat scratch post. Told to go pick out couple pots of plants.Have taken care of their cat many times for nothing. I planted flowers for them last week. will be like a kid in Candy Shop :p

8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Oh yeah. I have lots of conatiners. Some are actual flower pots, some are just odds and ends that make good containers for plants. I have a few old wringer washer tubs planted with flowers. If any bucket or container springs a leak, it is an instant flower pot here. The feed store had empty salt tubs for $4 the other day, and I got one to use for an extra water tub for my horse. I figure it is good to have extra water out there for her, especially since it is so hot out there already. I would have gotten more, but have to wait for pay day and hope they keep them around. When my pets water tubs leak, I use them for planters... [those big blue tubs with rope handles] Actually, I could put a lot more flower pots to work around here.

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I do love to garden in containers. Every year I tell myself I will minimize my container planting, but it never turns out that way. I have given away a lot of smaller pots, and mostly use larger pots now.
    I just can not help myself. I love putting the flowers together in different combinations. I just really have to hurry to get them all watered in the a.m. before heading off to work.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Got my good potting soil. Couldn't pass up a sale and rebate.Besides found more containers. Will spray paint them with paint that is for plastic.

11. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I love planting in containers.Besides my daylilies & iris growing in containers is my fav.Guess I'm getting ready for when I'm in a home with only a small area for some pots.If I had to buy all the potting mix for all these pots I couldn't afford so many. I make my own using rich soil from our timber plus some peat moss I got on sale last fall in bags at Wally W.Get perlite in huge bags that lasts a long time.Like someone else said,I say every year I'm going to cut down because a couple days a week I have to get them watered so I can leave home early.DH gets breakfast while I water.Looks like this year will mean a lot of dragging around hoses & watering cans.
    sewNsow

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

What is that stuff you put in pots to keep it watered ? It is some kind of little beads that soak up the water and it stays watered longer? I cant recall the name of it. Where does one buy that stuff ? [I think they also use this stuff in disposable diapers?] A friend sent me some hens n chicks and used that stuff in the packaging. They did excellent on their trip, and are doing great here. I just left in with the soil in the wicker basket that I planted them in.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

AA Nightowl, Soil Moist is the additive that retains water in the potting mix...But a diaper also holds a lot of moisture although the granules are much smaller than the ones that are marketed for planting.

14. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

Hi Nightowl,A brand of granules I have here is SoilMoist. There are other brands. This can be found at most garden centers,The directions about how to use are on the jar. I put some in a bowl & add water to hydrate them before use.This seems to keep them from expanding & raising the plant or after a hard rain you can find a bunch of jello on top of the pots.This doesn't happen if you add water to plump it up before applying.Hope this helps!
    sewNsow

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

thanks Carolyn and SewnSow... I will try to find some.

16. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I think about 50% of my container are self watering. And I also bought the spikes that screw on to pop bottle. it drips water.last couple of days. Use the green bottles to blend in.