Do your sedum flop open

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by koszta kid, Aug 23, 2012.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Got the taller type that flop open. Tried staking -and other ways. But thinking of taking some out. But like to have some color in late fall.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have some with flowewr stalks that are around 12-15 inches high and they are upright. However, yours may be an entirely different type to the ones I have. :-?

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Do you have the big pink flowered ones? if they are in the shade I don't think they grow as sturdy as in full sun. I have the small gold flowered one and it is more for a rock garden than flower bed. It seems to naturally trail down the wall, but then the flower stands up from the area it is resting on.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I like the color of Autumn Joy Sedum in the fall too. It is very popular in a lot of my "work" gardens. It doesn't like to be wet, this causes the floppiness. I tell folks to skip over it when watering, it is quite drought tolerant.
    I also like to cut it back by about half in late spring so it can't get too tall and lanky. This helps produce more blooms too.

stratsmom and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I always use green twine, midway up the stalk, just to hold them all together. If it is a large clump, I make 2 concentric circles. It works well :)

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I Have water them some-but not as much as other plant. But think next year will cut it back. Couple going to move to another area. Kinda Focal point close to arbor.Got grow through frame one-other put couple big pots Bracing it against arbor. see I can find picture.

8. sewNsow

sewNsow In Flower

I think Kay gave the secret to good Sedum. Trimming back earlier & grow dry. Most of us probably have Autumn Joy. I like one called Matrona.I think I have one.
    sNs

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I have both type.One lady who came over. Said she didn't like them-because when they look real pretty in fall. Winter is close to behind. But next season will cut them down. Some taking to local park.God's watering them now.

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Mine flop over. They didn't before, but now they've got more shade. I need to move them.