Does anyone grow Duchess of Edinburgh Clematis?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have a customer that is wanting to find and plant a Duchess of Edinburgh Clematis. Does anybody grow this one, or have any experience with it? The reason I ask is that while reading up about it, I learn that it is poisonous, and may cause bad reactions even while working around it.
    Hhhmmmm, I don't want to deal with a plant like that, even if it is a beautiful bloom. Just wondered if anybody knows any firsthand information.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never grown this particular variety Kay but I was told by an old gardening neighbour of mine a while back that all 200+ Clematis species (including hybrids) are quite poisonous.
    Animals can occasionally be poisoned from eating Clematis but as they have a very bitter taste and cause irritation to the mouth parts fatalities are extremely rare. All parts of these plants are toxic, particularly when fresh, but only seem to cause severe irritation to those with ultra sensative skin.
    I have never had any problems with the clematis I have in the garden though. Maybe, to be on the safe side, wear gloves when handling yours - better to be safe than sorry. :-D

4. Kay

Thank you Eileen. I thought it might be that Clems can be toxic and this particular one was written about in the article she had. It's interesting, and I suppose Mother Nature has it's reasons for creating plants that way. I have never had trouble with any Clems I've been around, but I will be advised of the potential and take care.
    Duchess certainly is a beauty!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It is indeed Kay. :-D Large double white flowers with green shading - a perfect choice and a great 'foil' for any other clematis you decide to grow with it. :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I grow the Duchess in my garden Kay, and have never had a problem. It is one of my favorites!

7. Kay

Thanks to you too Netty! Your comments put me at ease. Now, we'll begin the catalog search for one to order. :stew2:

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You are welcome Kay. I'm glad you asked because this Clematis is so nice and I'm glad I have it.

9. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

Kay I have grown this clematis in several of my gardens, In TN it blooms in May and again in October...but not as many flowers. I have not had a problem with toxicity.

[​IMG]
    Dutchess of Edinburg ( photo / image / picture from gfreiherr's Garden )

Jewell likes this.
  10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

ooooh I think I would like a white clematis to go with my pink (Comtesse something) and purple (President) <3

11. Kay

Gail, That beautiful photo of your "Duchess" is exactly why my customer wants one!
    Bip, Let's plant them!! :stew1: