Does anyone here not know what they are doing besides me?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Georgia Girl Beth, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Georgia Girl Beth

Georgia Girl Beth Seedling

I have only recently started trying to grow anything. I don't know the names of any of my plants, but I try to take good care of them. I have one that is very pretty and seems to be thriving except that it looks as if something is eating away at it. What should I do?

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Beth, if you could post a photo of the plant then we could get it identified, the problem figured out and get you started on the long and wonderful adventure of being a gardener.

Frank and Georgia Girl Beth like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hiya Beth - it's good to have you here at GardenStew with us. Welcome to our forums from West Lothian in Scotland. Ask as many questions as you like as we love to help each other out here. Posting photographs, as Toni says, can really help us to help you so if you have a camera handy we'll look forward to seeing your pictures. :-D

Georgia Girl Beth likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Beth, I've not known what I'm doing for over 40 years, but I still have thriving flower and vegetable gardens. Sometimes a little knowledge goes a long way!
    Please post a photo of the plant that's being eaten--I bet someone can identify the problem and offer a solution.
    We can also identify plants, so if you don't know what you have, post photos of the leaves, stems, and flowers (if any) and we'll do our best to help.
    And also, welcome to the Stew--you'll like it here, and get lots of help and sympathy if things go wrong!

Advertisement
  6. Georgia Girl Beth

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Welcome to the Stew, Georgia Girl Beth.

We all have to start somewhere while learning about plants and horticulture. Then you build on it. Just keep asking and we will do the best to answer you.

It looks like you have a pothos or a dracena, but the pictures don't show enough of the whole plant to tell, to me, but I am not sure if anything is eating on it from the pictures. It looks very leggy as if it doesn't get enough sunlight or fertilizer.

8. Georgia Girl Beth

Here are some additional pictures of my plant that we are trying to identify and find out what is eating it. The stem at the bottom looks like bamboo, but it is skinnier and more flexible. I have had to tie it to a stake because it was bent over so far. It has grown really tall and has gotten some beautiful leaves. It was originally planted in a bowl with 3 other plants, but they outgrew the bowl and I had to separate them into different pots. As I said before, it now seems to be flourishing except it looks like something is eating the leaves. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Georgia Girl Beth's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Welcome to 'stew!

This looks like Aglaonema modestum.
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/9002417

Your plant looks like it could use a bit more light. The angle of the leaves of your plant are more droopy than this plants' regular/healthy appearance. Has it been in the same soil for a long time?

The long stems can be cut and stuck back in the pot to have a fuller pot of shorter, more sturdy plants. I wouldn't do that now though, while it looks like it's struggling.

The damage could be from a caterpillar. They're very good at camouflage.

10. Georgia Girl Beth

I re-potted this plant a few months ago. Is it time to plant it in new soil already? It may need more light. I don't have it in direct sunlight because I didn't know if it would burn the leaves. So, when it looks better, I can cut the stems and replant it? Will the stems grow new roots? I feel silly, but I really just have no idea.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Do you have this outside, on a patio, inside?

The damage looks like a slug is eating on it.

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. Georgia Girl Beth

It is outside on my porch. I don't feel like I am getting very good pictures. I will try again this evening.

purpleinopp likes this.
  13. purpleinopp

Sounds good. Does the pot have a hole in the bottom?

14. Georgia Girl Beth

purpleinopp likes this.
  15. Georgia Girl Beth

I apologize that I posted these last pictures quickly and didn't include any comment or explanation. I just wanted to get the pictures up. I hope these are a little better and someone can help!

purpleinopp likes this.
  16. purpleinopp

Aside from being somebody's dinner, looks a lot better in the new pics than the first set. The one abnormal new leaf is concerning. Could be something else, could be thrips.

This plant can tolerate some direct sun, if gradually introduced to it. Unless you have a south-facing bow window and suddenly put the plant right near that, it would be unusual for it to get sunburned inside. My plants are outside for summer, and I put them either where the first couple hours or last couple hours of the day will shine on them. I uploaded 4 pics of this one that you have at the link I pasted above. Contrast the angle of the dangle of the leaves to this pic below, same plant in 2002, after spending the previous few years in insufficient light. I use the word insufficient in that the amount was not enough to maintain this plants' optimal appearance, but not in that the plant was harmed. It's the same one I still have, now enjoying improved conditions that I now have available for it. (Same thing can be said about the snake plant sharing its' pot (Sansevieria trifasciata.))

[​IMG]
    Aglaonema modestum and Sansevieria trifasciata in insufficient light, 2002. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )