Does it hurt a plant to put it in the ground still potted

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by garden_newbie, Apr 12, 2010.

1. garden_newbie

garden_newbie Seedling

So is it ok to bury a plant in the dirt when still in the pot to restrain it from growing taller?

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I don't know what type of plant you're talking about doing this to, or what kind of pot, but I think as a general rule, pruning is a better way of limiting height. Seems like restricting their root growth with the pot would not be good for the plant. I've planted invasive types in a pot with the bottom removed just to provide some boundaries around the unruly plant but never to limit the height.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've never done that. What type of plant are you considering using that method on?

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Leaving it in the pot will cause the roots to circle round and round until they strangle the plant.

Some plants will not do well being kept trimmed back and some you can do it without damaging the plant.
    What is it you want to keep small?

Advertisement
  6. DaphDaph

DaphDaph Seedling

In my herb garden I did that with herbs that would take over the garden. I would think it would be ok for an annual but I don't think it would be good for a perninual.

7. garden_newbie

garden_newbie Seedling

Oh wow, I never knew I actually posted this lol. I had the thought of posting this question, never knew I went ahead with it :p OK thanks for your replies, I will not leave it in the pot. I was thinking about a Boxwood to keep it small, however I will not do so now.

8. featherphobia

featherphobia Seedling

HI. I have plumeria plants that must be brought inside at 40 degrees. some are up to 8 ft tall. In order to help them stand up I bury the pot half way in the ground(12inch plastic) in my flower bed. The plants grow roots thru the bottom of the pots. When cold weather comes I use my sharp shooter shovel, cut thru the roots comming out the pot and bring the plants on my porch, Yea a lot of trouble but they are worth it. I have done this for several years now and the plants always survive.

[​IMG]
    plumeria ( photo / image / picture from featherphobia's Garden )

[​IMG]
    plumeria yellow ( photo / image / picture from featherphobia's Garden )