Don't Feed The Racoons!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Daniel W, Oct 11, 2024 at 2:48 PM.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Pacnorwest likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Lots I didn't know about racoons.

When I lived in Chicago, there was a big, fenced cemetery near where I Iived. I bicycle-commuted past there. At night, I saw people throwing things over the fence into the cemetery, One time, I stopped to see what was going on. People were throwing loaves of bread into the cemetery. There were dozens of huge raccoons there! People were feeding them.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Raccoons are vicious when it comes to competition for food. Had my cat attacked by a raccoon, he survived, and a huge vet bill. I keep all animal food inside and locked up in air tight containers. They try to get into the She Shed after the horse feed. They will chew the siding right off the sides to get inside. I have used live cages to catch and relocate them. Also there are coyotes and bobcats that are a natural predator in the area hunting at night.
    At night using a flashlight while hunting slugs putting them in soapy water , I saw a huge raccoon stand up on it’s hind legs and hiss at me. They are no joke. It’s zoo out there. PS: I don’t hunt slugs at night anymore.

Melody Mc. and Daniel W like this.
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Our area has extreme rabies infestation in raccoon. We have babies in the trees out back sometimes so adults are around. I don't look for them. They don't wanna be looked for, so its cool. I keep small arms in easy reach (behind the door) in case. I have only had to lose 4 in 20 plus years here.