dooley's front and back yards!

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by dooley, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I took these pictures out the front and the back door this evening. You can see why I am always pulling weeds or using the weed eater.

[​IMG]
    dooley's front yard ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )
    I pulled weeds in the two tomato beds this morning. Need to do around the outside now.

[​IMG]
    dooley's front yard. ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

This is looking slightly in a more western direction.

[​IMG]
    Dooley's front yard ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

This one is looking toward the southeast across the driveway and road.

[​IMG]
    dooley's back yard ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

This is the back yard. It ends at the orange fence. The neighbor's pigs live on the other side and we feed them our leftovers and weeds, too.

[​IMG]
    dooley's back yard ( photo / image / picture from dooley's Garden )

The orange buckets are the weights that dr made to hold my awning down in the wind. Otherwise, it ends to take off with the aprons. The clothesline folds up. The windmill is waiting to be painted. It's on loan. It will look okay when painted white with red trim. They are in the first backyard picture. I forgot which one came first and last.

dooley

Sjoerd, Jewell and donm like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. dooley
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. dooley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The weeds are in trouble now. Each weed you pull is one less that can use water intended for other plants. Your plants will be a lot happier.

Jerry

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dooley, it looks like you have a nice quiet neighborhood. Weeds just seem to thrive no matter where you live. Keep pulling them...someday they will loose the battle, huh? Mulch helps enormously, too. Hay, straw, shredded paper, cardboard, etc. even carpet recycled from the trash, cut into the width of your paths, makes for great weed barrier. I used the old carpet from one of the bedrooms to smother the mugwort all around the blueberries so I didn't disturb the roots of the berries, when I was out there pulling the few that popped up between the pieces I noticed that the soil underneath it is beautiful.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Dooley you've done so much with your gardens already - I'm impressed. The weeds that are left will all be shaking in their shoes when they see you. They'll know they're not long for this world. :-D

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Dooley. It is so nice to see how you have your gardens laid-out. It was nice to have the commentary along with the pics.
    Weeds??!--I have my trouble with them this year as well. With all the cold weather, they have just been growing-away under the soil. Now they are up everywhere. Oh dear.

I was interested to learn that you guys had a wind mill. That ought to look nice when it is newly painted and standing on its place.

I had to chuckle when you told about the weights that your man made for your awning. Great Scott!--You must get quite some wind there too. What a simple and thoughtful solution.

Say--in that next-to-the-last foto....what is that strip of reddish stuff on the other side of the fence? It looks like some kind of ground cover.

Great posting, Dooley. I sure enjoyed the pics.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great to get a peek at your yards. Looks like you've got just enough to keep you busy.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We moved here in April, 2010. They bulldozed a place for the house out of all trees and brush. We've cut a few trees and lots of brush to get where we are at not. Of course, they didn't take out stumps and so new growth keeps coming up. That's the scrubby brush that I keep cutting. Youpon is especially good at the growing back and it's fast. We've made several small beds where we amended the soil for gardens. They are in the front and back both due to finding spots with no stumps or roots.
    Sjoerd, that stuff only looks red. It is orange construction fence wired to the farm fence because the goats could stick their heads through the farm fence. Now, the problem is pigs rooting under to get the grass. I just have stakes and barriers all along the fence on our side.
    Thanks for the nice comments.

dooley