Drying Parsley with GE Turkey Oven

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by kathyd, Oct 17, 2011.

1. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Oh Happy Day. I picked some parsley today to dry. I was going to let it air-dry, but it takes a while, I didn't want mold to develop, and it always seems to lose its vibrant color. Aha! I thought. Being a fan of yard sales, I bought a brand new GE Turkey Oven this spring. I've used it only once, and it worked great, but it dawned on me that it might work to dry the parsley. Set at 150 degrees, the parsley is dry and still vibrant. Hooray!

[​IMG]
    Parsley Drying ( photo / image / picture from kathyd's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ge oven ( photo / image / picture from kathyd's Garden )

2. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Looks great. Does the turkey oven have convection or is it use regular heat?

3. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Hmmm...that's a good question, and I don't have the answer. If I had to guess, I would say regular heat.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I used to dry all my parsley in the dryer but now I freeze it on cookie sheets and then through it into a very large zip lock bag. I eventually smash the frozen parsley in the bag and have flakes by the handful right out of the freezer.

I do that with celery tops also. It's great in soups, stews, and other things right out of the freezer.

Diced onions and bell peppers I do the same thing but the onions I put in sandwich baggies after frozen and then put them in very large baggies. To that I add baking soda around the sandwich baggies in that very large bag. It adsorbs all the onion odors unless you are sloppy.

Barb in Pa.

PS I know, I know. TMI LOL

5. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Barb, that's a great idea too. If I beat the frost, I'll do some sprigs that way too.