Dutch Queen abdicates

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Jan 28, 2013.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands is abdicating in favor of her son. We met both the Queen and her son while vacationing in Bonaire (a Dutch held island in the Caribbean about 70 miles off Venezuela).
    The man who rented us a car told us his teen-age daughter was taking her horse to where the Queen was staying so she could ride. The daughter knew the Queen was an equistrian, and wanted her to enjoy her stay on the island. Queen Beatrix took a glass-bottom boat ride over the coral reefs, and was so enthralled that the one-hour tour lasted most of the afternoon.
    The prince went diving, the boat had a motor problem, so he ended up swimming to shore and surprising a bunch of beach goers!
    There was a concert in the main square especially for the Queen. She was sitting in the front row, while some very uncomfortable gentlemen in dark suits patrolled. I don't know why she had security--everyone on the island just loved her and her family!
    The Bonarians put on their Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes, and went to visit with the Queen at her house.
    Now THAT'S royalty! I wish Queen Beatrix much joy in her retirement, and if she ever wants to visit Texas, we have a spare room.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it good to know that the Queen and Prince enjoyed the celebrations as much as the people they serve? I wish Queen Beatrix a very happy abdication and her son a long and productive reign.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a surprise that you guys have heard the news. Nederland is such a small country, that I am amazed that the news was covered on the telly over there, MG.

Yes Our Queen is abdicating. I for one, will certainly miss her, as I found her very competent in her role. We have been wondering when she would retire, as she has been getting now and while still effective, she must be feeling those long days.
    Her son is a reasonable young man who has no doubt been thoroughly trained for the the task at hand.

I shall be sad to see her step aside for her son, but I understand the choice. I hope that she will not be taking total distance from the throne, as her experience would be helpful, should Prince have questions.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Queen Beatrix was so gracious when we met her--sitting on the patio, greeting everyone with a smile and a question about their family if islanders, and about their visit if tourists. I was dressed in a (clean) shirt and slacks, and felt so uncomfortable until I had actually shaken hands with her--then the discomfort went away. She has the gift of making everyone seem important.
    What a lovely lady, and I'm sure her son will continue the close contact with his "subjects" who are really more like family members.
    Sojerd, you are fortunate to have such a fine family as heads of state!

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for your very nice words, MG. I am so impressed that you have met her.

She had a thing where she would visit two town in Nederland in a day and that would be shown on the telly. It was always such a happy day.

The town would be closed to traffic and she and her family would walk a route where people would demonstrate things and give her gifts. She w9ould meet and speak to many people and let folks take her pic. The same was for her sons and their wives.

Any event where the Queen actually has contact with the public is really appreciated.
    She was not an "Ivory Tower" type of regent...she would also go to tragedy sites and appraise the damage and speak to folks and listen to their sorrowful stories.

Yep, she was a guddun.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, You had a most wonderful experience there. Glad you wrote to us of it. Thanks.

I too, hope she has a blessed and happy retirement. Maybe she will have time to garden now.