Dwarf Hollyhocks

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Apr 16, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The first of my myriad of dwarf hollyhocks - Malva sylvestris 'Zebrina' to bloom this year. This is the little plant that I had to enlarge that bed for last year so it wouldn't be stepped on. Behind it is a small Rue, in the corner is a huge Lemon Balm, beside it is a Blackeyed Susan and the large bowl is a 'water garden' holding a WaterLilly that is beginning to leaf out.
    [​IMG]

This is the new dwarf hollyhock bed that they themselves created for me. Most of the hollyhocks are in full sun but these are in dappled shade with very little sun and the big one blooms just as much as the others....just not yet. I also transplanted some Glads to that area between the triangle planters. They may not get enough sun to bloom but they are growing at least.
    [​IMG]

And one of the Mealy Sages, just because I like it's bright blue color. It is only about 18" tall and blooming away.
    [​IMG]
    The main hollyhock bed that this year contains probably 15 plants, I didn't get it thinned out when they were tiny.
    [​IMG]

There are more plants blooming out back but those pictures were too bright because of the sun's angle at the time so I will try more later.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Melody Mc.
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sydney Smith
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Certainly a lot of things going on in FRED these days. I like the fact that the dwarf hollyhocks actually created the bed for themselves, cheeky sods :D

Thanks for the daily dose of FRED!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a lemon balm too Toni. It started off as a little thing about 4" across and has now spread into an enormous (but beautiful, variagated) bush!! I love its scent and it adds flavour to either a salad or simply a cool glass of water.

Your gladioli are much further forward then mine which are only starting to poke through the earth. I don't have hollyhocks in the garden yet but I do have some seeds that I really MUST get planted.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Toni those Hollyhocks are going to be just gorgeous when they all start to bloom!
    It's amazing how far ahead your gardens are compared to mine...I'm still waiting for my first bloom, probably a crocus.

Advertisement
  6. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Your hollyhocks look very lush. In fact everything looks really good. What is Rue good for?

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I had read that it repelled cats from the garden, that's why I planted it. But I am here to tell you...it isn't true. The stray cat plaguing my backyard hides under that big stand of hollyhocks less than 6 feet from the Rue and has no problem with it at all. :rolleyes:

Monarch caterpillars feed on it and butterflies like the yellow flowers.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Love your yard.You have so much growing .The hollyhocks will really put on a show when they start blooming.
    Love the blue blooms on the sage.

9. Shanna

Shanna In Flower

Very nice pics.

10. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Very nice Toni. I have those same hollyhocks and they do spread but I like them as they were first a gift from an elderly friend and they will always remind me of her.

11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Mother was at a garden center and viewed dwarf hollyhocks. She was use to the tall hollyhocks.