Dying Plants and shrubs

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by bffatcat, Aug 7, 2014.

1. bffatcat

bffatcat New Seed

Last winter while I was away a section of a cedar picket fence fell on a row of tiger lilies and killed them I now see other plants and shrubs about 30 feet away along the fence line are going bad ,including a
    large rose of sharon I planted about 10 years ago.

I do not know what to do about this. I need help
    I would like to hire an experienced person to evaluate the situation but I do not know where to start. I live on Boston`s north shore Any comments would be appreciated

Moderator's note: email address has been removed from this post. Share through Private Message only

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

bffatcat--

Are you sure the tiger lilies are dead? Or if they are, are you sure it was the cedar fence that killed them? I ask because the lilies should have been dormant at that time. A fence falling on the patch should not have harmed them. I am assuming you removed the fence before the growing season was underway.

RE the Rose of Sharon, how old is your plant? Rose of Sharon are not long lived bushes. Maybe it is just at the end of its life cycle. I think they live ?15 years?.
    My other idea is to examine the ROS carefully. Does it have scale? Spider Mites? If so, you should treat that. If none of these, you could try giving it a pruning in late winter or early spring, then fertilize it & hope for better growth.

Others on the Stew may have better ideas.

BTW, welcome to the Stew!

4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Welcome! Pics would be immensely helpful!