Easily Amused

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 8, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

In the waning months of last year a nice little packet arrived in the mail with a few rooty thingys safely enclosed, packed ever so tidily.
    These were destined for the "Shade Garden".
    One never knows if plants that arrive in the mail will do it or not, but I will try most anything at least once...and I am an optimist by nature.
    These plants are native to North America and other places, I believe, but not West-Friesland.

Last week the first spike was above ground.
    [​IMG]
    I was thrilled...a few days later I could see the form of what was to come. I planted these plants inbetween the Tricyrtis plants and the slugs has a buffet smorgesbord--so I quickly put down a few pellets.
    [​IMG]
    Today I had to pop over to the lottie to give water to the plants in the greenhouse and I strolled over to have a lock.
    I'll tell you guys--I am over the moon!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I know these may be no big thing to you North Americans (I understand that they are very common in woods there)...but this is really exciting for me.
    I can see you now chuckling at me :D ...I know, I know--I'm easily amused.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. poteddy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Awww, it's a very good-looking Arisaema bloom you've got there. :D I'm hoping you'll get berries on that corm eventually, and lots of more little Arisaemas from it.

Ok, I confess, I'm easily amused too. :D

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We've been living in a hot climate for the last twenty years but in the upper Midwest of this country there are or were many wild in the woods. dooley

Advertisement
  6. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I think they are a unique plant and I get amused at every stalk that pokes through the ground. The miracle of growth is ever entertaining.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I like!!! So glad they've flowered for you Sjoerd as they really are beauties. Mine haven't even broken the surface of the soil yet. :(

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you guys for the nice responces to the fotos.
    I could have spent more than an hour studying that plant this morning. It is so interesting and almost unique in the shape of the flower.
    I just laid full-out on my stomach, elbows bent and with my chin resting in the palm of my hands just looking and admiring. I was full of the wonderment that I recall from when I was a child. I have always found nature so fascinating.
    GG was right when she said that "The miracle of growth is ever-entertaining".

I saw a green and white one on Droopy's thread and it got me wondering just how many different Arisaemas there are. I shall have to do some reading-up on those, I see that now. Thanks alot the link, Toni--I shall have a look in just a moment.

9. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

The Arisaema are actually kind of rare down here even to the point where it's illegal to mess with them in any way. However, they are a beautiful and stunning plant. Great pics!!! :D

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It is really beautiful and unique, Sjoerd. I like thinking of you enjoying it too, like a new friend.
    I am so glad to have met all of the Stewbies who admire Nature so.

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

They grow in the woods here, but even so I get more excited with every one I find Sjoerd! They are such an interesting plant. Yours is a beauty :)

12. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thats awesome. No wonder you are amused!

13. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I have never seen that before, so i am very amused! A shade plant huh. well i think it is beautiful and to me exotic. Well done Sjoerd. You can grow just about anything i think!

14. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

beautiful picks sjoerd! they reminded me of my childhood in Maine. we'd always find these plants all over in the woods. the common name 'Jack-in-the-pulpit' is what made them so fun for me, as well as their cool little cap and all. :D

15. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sjoerd I have never got to see one in real life.I always wanted to grow one but its way to hot here.I would have been over the moon to see it.You are the best when it comes to plants.

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you for your nice responses. Your kind words just add to the great enjoyment that I am having with this lovely woodland plant.
    Fingers crossed that it will return next year. I am curious to know if it will produce the little red berries...and if it does, if they will germinate in the soil there.