East coast dwellers--stay safe!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Oct 26, 2012.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hearing the forecast for the weekend for the east coast of the US is certainly scary! I hope you all in those states stay safe. If the storm hits, please check in at the Stew so we can stop worrying (or at least worrying so much!).

carolyn and donna in nc like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks Jane. If you don't hear from me it's probably because we lost power. And if we do it will be days and days before getting it back.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

They are calling it a Frankenstorm... does sound like some scarey stuff headed that way. Stay safe everyone!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Fingers crossed for everyone in its path. Stay safe and let us know ASAP if you come through OK.

Advertisement
  6. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Yes Pray everyone is ok.And don't loose power for long time.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was just coming to post a similar thought.

Stay Safe All!!!

Kevin was driving down 76W today and passed a line 1 mile long of public utility trucks from Oklahoma headed east. Every truck had 2-3 men in it. Said he had never seen anything like it before on the road. a few spots where 1 or 2 cars lengths in between but not much more than that. Evidently they were headed to the storm to help out after it passes.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, after hurricanes Rita and Ike, the highways heading east out of Texas were jammed with utility trucks, and with semis loaded with supplies.
    Our church is on a hill, and easily seen from the highway. We turned on all the lights and everyone in the congregation who could brought hot soup, sandwiches, coffee and bottled water. We set up a rest stop--even had a couple of people stationed a quarter mile down the highway with signs saying "rest stop for evacuees ahead, next right turn".
    We were up all night and into the early morning before we ran out of food and energy. We'd do it again if needed. I just pray that anyone having to evacuate the east coast runs into help.

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, What an awesome Godly response to terrible situation. Donating to a relief fund or charity organization really doesn't put into perspective the real need of those in the path of need like actually being there and serving them. We do some very involved charity projects at church, but on this end of the project it is hard to actually see the need you are filling in a persons/communities life.

10. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

we are getting heavy wind and drizzle right now with heavy rain and snow showers coming in tomorrow hopefully we will keep our power prayers for those in the direct path

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, even though my hubby will go to work tomorrow morning we are completey prepared for Sandy. Generator, its fuel, Greenhouse propane, plenty of food, of course, have a gas stove so that's not a worry, and the big deal is plenty of junk food for the hubby. LOL

Now I just hope she doesn't drop any trees on my house or greenhouse or car.

12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Stay safe all, it looks like a bad one.

13. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I'm saying my prayers for everyone caught up in it. dr has family in New York and I have a nephew and family near Boston. Hopefully all are prepared for the storm.
    Wannabe has a son in Maryland.

dooley

14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

You know at our house we are all very prepared but it's my little puppies that Sandy will take it's toll on. They get stressed even with a good down poor even without the wind. I will have to sit with them the hole time.

Now I don't like to baby them with other things. I expect them to listen and stay with me when outside, which is not much but you have to feel sorry for them in this case for they don't know what is happening outside. It's scarey out there.

[​IMG]
    Willow and Wisteria

Willow is the smaller one, but 3 months older. They have the same father so they are half sisters. You'd never know it, would ya. Wisteria is the DEVIL for sure.

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi over there, we are real nervous for you there on the east coast, we are being kept updated by the TV...we are hoping and praying all will be well.
    Please let everyone know as soon as possible if you are OK.

16. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi all, thank you so much for your well wishes. Marlingardener, what a wonderful thing to do for the utility workers & evacuees! I wonder how Ed is fairing?

So far we are fine in MA. Some communities have lost power (near the shore) but the hurricane winds have not hit as yet. It has been raining since dinner last night, but a light rain only.

My husband works for the emergency service dept so he has been staying at the public safety building since last night. I plan on going to work this AM, then cancelling clients this afternoon & evening (they probably will be cancelling me!) I'll keep you posted, assuming we do not lose power. Last year at this time, we had a freak heavy heavy snow storm that brought lots of trees & branches down. We were without power then for 5 days. I think it was because the trees were still in full leaf and couldn't withstand the weight of the snow. Anyway, we are hoping that because the trees had major "pruning" last year, we won't have much of a problem this year.

How is everyone else doing along the east coast?