Elderberry?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by carolyn, Jun 8, 2012.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have this plant growing by my deck where I dumped left over Elderberry debris from a couple years ago. I am not sure what this is. It flowers early and has red berries on it which a catbird visits every morning to eat and I see my elderberries are just now flowering. does anybody have any idea what this really is, if it isn't an Elderberry? The plant looks like an elderberry, but the umbilifer of flowers is more of a cluster rather than an umbilifer, as you can see from the berries.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Leaf ( photo / image / picture from carolyn keiper's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

How did the blooms look? Were they a tight cluster of greenish, small flowers? It looks like a Sambucus racemosa, we call it red elderberry. From what I know it's slightly toxic, but a pretty bush/small tree.

Frank likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree with Droopy. Your plant certainly looks like a red elderberry to me too.

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, As I recall it was just white, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this anywhere. According to my North American tree book the red elderberry is one that grows in coastal areas of California :-? nowhere close to here, but I suppose anything is possible.

Advertisement
  5. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I was not thinking elderberry because the most common one that grows around here is Sambucus canadensis which has black berries and is very edible...makes good wine also. I looked up the red elderberry and agree with everyone else.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks, All. I have not seen this anywhere nor am I familiar with it, I am not sure if I will keep this or not. I really don't need it where it is at, but it seems to be good bird food. The catbird is really cool. I have never seen one only heard it. they don't come down to where we can see them, ever. Hopefully I can get a picture of it, but Kyle is going to San Antonio, TX for a college robot competition (GO, KYLE!!!) and wants to take my camera, BUT I really need a new one, so perhaps I will go get a new one in the next few days!

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Maybe the catbird planted it so it could snack in your garden. :D I'm certain birds know kind people when they see them.