Epsom Salt

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Steve4flowers, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Steve4flowers

Steve4flowers New Seed

I wonder about the benefits of monthly help in the garden with a Epsom Salt solution...What do you think?

Thank you, in advance for your answer.

2. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Steve4flowers,..i know quite a few gardeners who use Epsom Salts and they use the salts in particular to increase the health of roses,..i remember my own father using the salts as a general booster in the garden.

Having tested the soil in my own garden i found sufficient Sulphates and Magnesium and therefore didn't need to use the Epsom Salts which has Sulphates and Magnesium,..but i would recommend the use of the Epsom Salts it has proved itself in the gardens for years and years.

Philip

Henry Johnson likes this.
  3. Steve4flowers

Steve4flowers New Seed

Philip,

Thank you. I will do it...

Steve

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Steve,..i found this article on the net,..it will help with the amount of Epsom Salts to mix,..NOTE the word of CAUTION re spraying plant leaves.

Read more: http://gardening.about.com/od/organicga ... _Salts.htm

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Steve, I use Epsom salts on any rose bush that looks stressed. I mix the Salts into the soil around the rose, then water thoroughly. The bush usually perks up in a week or 10 days.
    I have used it on tomatoes, with mixed results. On hybrid tomatoes, it seems to help them grow stronger, but I can't comment on increased production. On open-pollinated, "heritage" varieties, I can't see any benefit.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I use magnesium Sulfate on but one plant type:--Tomatos. I use it applied topically on the leaves. I must do this because I grow my toms in a tiny greenhouse and the toms are heavy feeders. It isn't long before the rich soil that I place in the greenhouse begins to become depleted.
    The use of MgSO4 is then, a supplement and I am pleased with the results.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

This is all news to me. I have never heard of using Epson Salts in the garden and appreciate the info.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have a Japanese Maple that doesn't stay red for the summer. It emerges red then fades to green. I read that E S will correct that issue, so I faithfully dump all our "foot soak" water and sprinkle any small amounts left in the package under the tree. I have been doing this for several years now and the color is better longer but I think it still need more to correct the problem in the area....maybe someyear it will stay red all summer long.

9. Cayuga Morning

Carolyn, do you know if your Japanese maple is the kind that does stay red? I ask because I have been researching them lately & some are advertised as having red foliage in spring & fall, but greenish during the summer.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good question CM, but I really don't know, it has been there for 20ish years.. It may be that it isn't in a great spot and is now too large to move. the leaves get nasty looking later in the summer, too. One day when we do some remodeling and remove the deck the tree will go too.

11. Cayuga Morning

But in the meantime, the epsom salts seem to be helping.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CM, I am thinking I bought two of them at the same time. The one is one the west side of the house that doesn't stay so nice. The other is on the east side and is beautiful all season. I thought they were the same variety, could be mistaken though. It has been 20ish years. Maybe it just gets too much hot/intense sun.

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine