Excuse me!! But I was growing here!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The truck arrived midmorning with the 4 yards of loom and compost. A few hand jesters and the load was dumped at the end of the driveway. As the days waned the pile was relocated to other parts of the garden. A few rain showers and days later some hitchhikers emerged, someone else's composted material, seeds and all. Despite their arguments, a rake made short work of their new home but then I thought 'I wonder if there is anything useful in the weeds'? They had tried to evade the rake but with little success. Rescue time. Battered and bruised, and even some that looked as if they had been a snack for the midnight muncher, the plants found their way into a pot. They will live there until interest disappears or they produce something interesting. They may, once again, find themselves in another compost pile.

[​IMG]
    From someone else's compost pile ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. ToadinNH

ToadinNH New Seed

Hopefully none of it is poison ivy or other nasty's! That's one reason I won't take mulch from the local recycling facility anymore. Last time I did that I ended up with weeds that took over... and poison ivy =(

But who knows? Would be interesting to see what grows (in a controlled/potted home like you have there).

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Here's hoping at least one of them turn out to be a keeper.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Does that broad leafed one have a red or pink stem? just wondering, it looks like it could be pokeweed.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Carolyn, it is green.

Cheryl, I will keep looking for others as they emerge.

Toad, no poison ivy, it would not dare grow in any of my containers.

Jerry

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Jerry I wanted to get soil to raise all my beds out of harms way of flooding. Guy came over and looked at how much I would need. $5000. But I do have 3 compost piles going. + all my customers who have containers. Give me them I dump dirt out and bring containers back.But soil I paid top price for new containers got&(%* weeds in them.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am really interested to see what they turn out to be, Jerry.
    The idea though, that there is still viable seeds in your bought compost is a leedl bit disturbing.