Extreme makeover on a small budget

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by kimmey, Jul 1, 2008.

1. kimmey

kimmey New Seed

I've recently purchased a house, but its need an extreme makeover. My budget is really tight. I've got 3 bathrooms, 4 bedroom house with a full but unfinished basement. Everything has to be changed including the floors in most of the house. Does anyone know any good stores I could buy cheep items for my house to renovate it. I know like home depot stores but those are costly. Do you have any good suggestions?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. aalisha
      Replies:
      Views:

3. ParlorjazzJim

ParlorjazzJim New Seed

Hi Kimmey - extreme makeover

Do you have an Ikea store in your area? You may be able to check them online.
    Other stores that always have good/great bargains and an interesting mix of items:

Pier 1 Imports
    Ikea
    Century 21
    can't think of any others off the top of my head but don't forget those 2nd hand stores:
    Salvation Army
    Goodwill Industries
    and any local 2nd hand/consignment shops, yard sales, garage sales, apartment sales, house sales...there's a whole world out there looking to get rid of their stuff. If you've got a "good eye", you can really make out like a bandit!!

I've shopped these places for YEARS and combined what I've found with some expensive, brand-new items. If you know how to "work it", it'll look like a million bucks...and you'll have paid a ridiculously low price for great looks! I learned from the best - other professional interior designers that were just starting out and NEEDED to have their place look as though they were not only successful, but reflect that they knew what they were doing.

and of course, There always good 'ol "Craig's List" and "Ebay"

It depends on the type of person you are. You may be the type who has to actually "see and touch" what you're about to buy. It really depends on what it is, what knowledge you already have about the product and your priorities. Hope this helps.

Go to it Girl! :)

4. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

We recently saw some very nice floor tiles and faux hardwood flooring at a "Big Lots"

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'd like to recommend the book Style on a Shoestring: How to Create Fantastic Rooms Quickly and Easily by Anne McKevitt (Author), Shelley Warrington. It holds lots of great tips, and I'm going to try them out once I have time to redecorate.

Advertisement
  6. lauriestroupe

lauriestroupe New Seed

If you have a Re-store in your area, check it out. Habitat for Humanity often gets donations they can't use in their current projects, so they sell them at deeply discounted prices. You may find nothing, but you might get lucky.

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

One of the best places for inexpensive wood floors is Lumber Liquidator. Here is a look at their websites.

http://www.lumberliquidators.com/home.j ... FQodYU67AQ

Another good idea is to hit places that salvage old doors, lighting etc. We have gotten a few things at places like this.

Look in the clearance sections of home depot and lowes. You can usually get great deals here.

We are in the process of redoing our home that was built in 1925. I can give you one big piece of advice. Take it room by room. Don't do everything all at once. That can be exhausting and seem to take forever. With the room to room method you can see quick progress and it feels as if you are accomplishing something quickly.

I bought all my curtains online at wither smartbargins.com or overstock.com. They have FABULOUS deals from time to time. Also check out Brylane Home on line store. great deals on home decor, bedding etc. And from time to time they ahve buy now pay later! I have been buying great curtains from them as well. Some times as low as $6.oo a panel!

Good luck and have fun! :stew2:

8. qphomedecor

qphomedecor New Seed

If you had a larger budget I'd say check direct buy, they have many show rooms throughout the US. Your best bet would be the consignment and thrift stores, goodwill etc.. locally. When I went to college I bought several suits for as low as $6-12 dollars, they had maybe a small stain or two but they came right out with a little stain remover.

9. violet

violet New Seed

The best thing to do in a low budget is to change the fabrics of the house. Go for something in pattern or plain depending on the size of the room.

It will completely change the look of your rooms even you have the old wall paint and florings.

Go for new but cheap (good looking) and durable cusion covers, sofa covers, drapery, curtains, bed covers, pillow covers etc (all the fabric in the house) and if possibe a plain carpet whatever is suitable.

Use some decorative assesories you get in small or old stores. if they are really old they can be used as antiques and will give a whole different look to your house.

See if you can use flurosent lamp in the main rooms to enhance the visibility and brightness. They are economical and have long life.

10. Charl

Charl New Seed

Check and see if there is a GROSSMANS BARGAIN OUTLET in your area!! really economical!

11. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Go ask Grandma. Raid the attic or cellar, or someone in the family just looking to get rid of their old things, if you have a good eye and some luck, there are real treasures to be found right in the family. Can't get any cheaper than that.

12. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

And don't forget HGTV for ideas while you are looking for items. They have absolutely great ideas that you can make ~ headboards, lamps, desks, make curtains and shower curtains out of sheets, etc. Good luck and I hope we will be seeing pictures of your projects and success.

13. tonya27

tonya27 New Seed

I agree with kuntrygal - HGTV provided me with some great ideas and good finds when I was redecorating my home.