Falling Leaves

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by dooley, Dec 1, 2005.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The cold weather made the leaves fall. The mulberry tree left leaves in the front yard. Since it is by the fence some of the leaves fell out by the street. When we looked out the neighbor was busy raking them. I went out and asked him if he was stealing my leaves. He looked guilty and said he was raking his leaves but he was afraid the wind would blow my leaves into his space so he was raking my leaves too. Since he composts leaves, I told him he could keep them. Later I went outside and he had put the leaves in a big trash bag and left them by my gate. I wonder if I should play pass the leaves and move them back by his gate? There are more than enough leaves for both of us. I still have leaves from the apricot tree. I need one of those shredders. The neighbor says leaving them in the clear plastic bags in the sun breaks them down faster than adding them to the compost. Would a black plastic bag work too? Doesn't black absorb the sun? I guess I should try it. Dooley

2. Loading...

3. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

My leaves have been gone for almost a month now. With the winds we have been having here, they are probably 50 miles from here by now! ;)

4. dooley

We had some pretty good wind on Sunday and Monday. But the only place the leave went was straight down. That's why there are so many. That mulberry tree is huge. It's going to get trimmed back a little this winter. There is a branch over the house. Right now, it's about four feet above the house but in summer when it has all it's leaves it touches the roof. That is not so good. Dooley

5. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Do they spread out there as bad as they do here? Between the raccoons and birds eating the berries and then spreading the seeds when they poop, the saying here is if you have one mulberry, you have a million! :D

Advertisement
  6. dooley

Well, we only have the one but there is one next door and one across the street. Actually I think there is probably two or three on every block. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, most of them are male mulberry trees. These have the pollen, not the fruit. The unfortunate part is that I am extremely allergic to mulberry trees so during pollen time I do not do well. When the tree gets trimmed I will have to stay inside or go elsewhere. I get very, very, very, very, very bad headaches just snapping a branch or hitting a root when I'm digging. The pollen isn't so bad but I do try to avoid it. Dooley

7. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

there is no need for a shredder with fallen leaves,depending on the type of lawnmower you have take the bag off and drive the mower over small quantities. this will break them down and compost in half the time.
    Hope this is of use to you 8)

8. dooley

We do have a lawn mower. I'm not sure why because our yard goes uphill, down hill and sideways. It's divided into smaller sections and with all the rocks I'm not sure about using it. I have been using a weedeater, but it broke. A bushing came off. When I went to the web site to see about a new one I discovered they only sell parts to liscensed dealers. The liscense dealer doesn't sell parts and he has a flat fee just to look at the thing. I think I'll buy another brand. Dooley

9. i love bugs

i love bugs The Weatherman of Craggy Island

re fallen leaves

sorry i did not explain myself properly, what i meant was, after you have gathered the the leaves then shred them with your lawnmower one machine, two jobs.

10. dooley

Oh, I can do that. The driveway is somewhat flat. Some of the backyard is flat but the dog would try to help. That dog is the most helpful nusiance that I know. Dooley