Feed Or Leave Alone...........

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Richie Cooper, May 17, 2011.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Hi, I have 6 Rose Of Sharon bushes that I planted about 4 years ago. They have not grown a lot, when I planted them they were about 1 foot tall and now they are about 2 1/2 feet tall. They do get some flowers but do not grow. Do I need to feed them with something?
    I have seen other Rose of Sharon in my area that are 5-6 feet tall. Thank you for any help.

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd suggest feeding them.... but since I don't own any, I'm not certain they need any special food or not.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Richie,
    The Rose Of Sharon,..Hibiscus syriacus likes general purpose fertilizer,..and part shade to full sun,..it also requires adequate water from drying out,..but to get it to flower at its best it needs ample water,..i have no idea about zones in America,.. as i live in Ireland,..i would suggest giving it some fertilizer,..keep it well watered from then onwards and you should have lots of flowers.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Richie,
    We have two Rose of Sharon shrubs here in Texas. I give them a shovelful of composted manure in the spring just when the leaves start to break; again when the buds form; and then after bloom is done. Some varieties are slower growing than others. The "old" varieties, with single petal blooms, seem to grow faster. Bred varieties are slower to grow, but just as beautiful!

6. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Thank you all VERY much. I will buy some compost and give them plenty of water. Have a great day, I will if it ever stops raining here. :D