Fern like volunteer, green fruit on weed vine.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Mrs. Hankshaw, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

Found this growing in my tradescantia yesterday. Looks like a fern. Anyone know what it is?
    [​IMG]
    Also pulled this out of my parents yaupon tree where a myriad of different weeds and vine are growing in and around. The vine had only one leave, small and three lobed. The inside of the fruit had no smell really, maybe a slight bad odor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anyone know what the heck this is?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Georgia Girl Beth
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi Mrs Hankshaw, the fruit looks like a passion fruit, as I only pick fruit from the grocery store someone else may have a different opinion. O.K. I do have a blueberry bush....but the birds usually beat me to it. Yes, the plant looks to be a fern, cut twice as a matter of fact.

Jerry

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree with Jerry and passion fruit was my first thought. They usually have much more foliage than that though.

5. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

It was growing in the shade under the tree. The fruit did not seem sweet or appetizing, but maybe that's because it wasn't ripe. I think I'll try to find more and see if I can root it in water.

The fern is a mystery. The tradescantia stays on my back porch, the only ferns I own are asparagus and Boston ferns. I'm guessing it rode in on a new plant.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank likes this.
  7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

That little fern is darn cute!! ;)

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

9. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

Stratsmom I think it's darn cute too. It was a pleasant little discovery.

Toni I think it's one long scalloped leaf. I'll go out in a bit and take another look though. And thanks for the passiflora id. This makes me happy since the one y'all ID'ed in my yard didn't come back. Finding and digging that sucker up will be my project for later on today. I hope I can find it again, there is literally a seperate little jungle going on under that weeping yaupon tree.

Here's another pic, don't know if it's clearer but notice the new sprout in the background.
    [​IMG]

10. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, Mrs. Hankshaw;
    Today as I was reading posts that I've missed over the past few days, I noted/read your post about what you were doing at your place.. In one of the pics you posted there is a Butterfly that I think (pretty sure) is a 'GULF FRITILLARY'; the 'Passiflora' is the host plant for the larval stage of this Butterfly's life cycle.. If you like him plant/cultivate him some passion flower plants to live/grow on..
    Hank

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Passion flower has a beautiful bloom and grows wild here. I have never heard of rooting from stems but if you can get a tiny bit of root it should grow.

12. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

It was growing under a yew and where it's coming up is almost impossible to maneuver any roots. I did get the stem, no roots came up with it sadly. Lots of branchs in my way.

Henry I think you're correct, I thought it was a queen butterfly but looking at pics of the gulf fritillary I see that's my guy. I see them all the time in my yard, which makes these mystery vines I keep id'ing as passion flower vines make sense. If I can't get this one to root I think I'll order one for them. I enjoy seeing them in my yard.

13. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

So I found another piece of the vine and added that to what I'm rooting. Surprising the piece I stuck in my "whatever" pot has rooted despite being just a stick. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also think I got an id on the fern. Had the exact same one growing in a pitcher plant I bought for my sons. Asked the lady who was the "plant expert" at the market where I bought it and she said she was pretty sure it's a leather fern. Put it with the one I already had and they are the same.