Fern

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by songlim18, Apr 6, 2011.

1. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

I have this beautiful fern for more than 1 year. It was growing very well on a synthetic coir when I first purchased it. There was no soil but just a bunch of moss (I think). As months passed, it started to get smaller and smaller. Leaves are turning brown and dried. Eventually I had to cut the dead ones away.

I started a compost bin in September 10 and harvested it in February 11. I have since transplanted my fern to a well drained pot and place a good amount of compost in it. It had since revived and I am happy to see that some tiny pores (?) are sprouting at the end of the fern. If not for the compost, I think the fern would have died by now.

I like to know the name of this fern so I can read up about it. Would you know if there is any way to propagate this plant? I love to share it with my neighbour.

Many thanks for your help.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from songlim18's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Georgia Girl Beth
      Replies:
      Views:

3. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

I did a search in the forum and realize I posted it in August 2008. At that time, Gardenmama kindly shared that it could be a Boston fern but the picture looks different. It has been a mystery since. :D

So the fern is more than 2 years old. :p Hopefully, someone along the way has this fern and knows the name.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen that fern. It sure is pretty... and healthy now. Glad you were able to save it. Did you ever find out how to propagate it?

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I think propagation can only be done from ripe spores Songlim as this fern doesn't produce seeds.

7. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

that picture was taken in 2008. It was reduced to 1/4 subsequently but it is healthy now.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from songlim18's Garden )

8. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

Thanks Eileen. I am not sure how that works but I may try layering or stem cutting.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

songlim, that is a really cool fern. After reading your post on reproducing it though, I just thought to tell you that most ferns can be divided. Otherwise you'll need to wait until the fronds produce some spores. When the spores turn drk brown collect them by putting your fern on a table on top of a piece of paper(newspaper or a lg. bag). As the spores ripen, tap the fronds and see if any of the spores drop off. place any that do in a pot or plastic bag with a spagnum/peat medium. Keep it moist and warm and wait and wait and wait. It may take a long time for them to grow. good luck.

Frank and OrangeKing like this.