Fertilizing day lilies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by marlingardener, Jun 3, 2011.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have a day lily, Stella d'Oro. I've never had day lilies before, and I don't know how or with what to fertilize them. My books tell me that they are hardy, don't require much in the way of care, and should be lifted and divided periodically. Well, fine, if I can keep it alive!
    Will some kind soul tell me what they use and how often and when they fertilize day lilies?
    Thank you, from me and my Stella.

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have never fertilized my day lilies. They seem to thrive as long as they get watered occasionally and divided every few years. I even found one day lily that had been abandoned and in total shade for several years. Moved it and it is flourishing now. Wonder if anyone out pampers their daylilies?

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

The only fertilizer the day lilies in my part of the yard ever get is an occasional watering with the miracle grow sprayer on the end of the hose (only because I'm too lazy to stop and take it off and put it back on!)
    Others in the front of the house has never been fed.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Daylily person......I guess thats me. I fertilize in the spring I did mine at the end of April. I use a granular 10-10-10 general purpose fertilizer. Work a tablespoon of fertilizer (two tablespoons for plants that have been in the ground for more than three years) into the soil in a circle about ten inches away from the plant. Gently scratch the fertilizer into the upper level of the soil. Then water the plant well.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Jerry, I'll try your method in the spring.
    Cheryl, yeah, but you can grow anything! I am watering faithfully, though.
    Jewell, you are in the same category as Cheryl--super gardener with a green arm!
    FBG, you just had to send me to that daylily site, didn't you! I have never seen lilies like those! Amazing colors and shapes. If/when I hit the lottery, that is going to be one happy nursery.
    Thank you all for your help and advice. So far Stella is doing fine.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jane... I've learned about a daylily farm not too far away from home. I have made myself NOT find out it's location for fear that I'd spend my entire wages there! :D

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Those are REALLY fancy daylilies fbg. Those would get the very best of care and I would still probably kill them. Some of my "ditch" lilies were left in a paper bag for a week before they made it to me. I really like the red ragamuffin at that nursery.

10. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Ah, yes my friends. I have a gardening 'buddy' with whom I share work, harvest, and company. He too is a daylily fanatic. Every year when the bloom is in full season, he says, 'a pox on you, for taking me to that nursery.' I'm getting him started with gladiolus too. :twisted: