Fertilizing Question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Feb 4, 2012.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

We have alot of organic fertilizer that we got for the baby fruit trees. We mixed Microlife and Cotton Seed Mill together. With just one application to the trees last year you could see the difference within days.
    So... I'm thinking of using the mix in the flower beds.
    Shall I wait until everything is planted... or go ahead and apply it now so it's absorbed into the ground? Or both?

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cherylad---My guess is to wait until just before or just after planting. I say that because you got such a quick response with the fruit trees, it sounds as though the fertilizer was available immediately and did not have to break down in the soil first. The only other question I can think of is whether the fertilizer would "burn" young seedlings. That would argue for applying after the flowers have settled in and are not dealing with transplant shock.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, I agree with Cayuga. The only fertilizer I use on seedlings is compost or manure tea, and that sparingly. Wait until the flowers are well-established (and with your green thumb that may take about three days!) and then fertilize. There is nothing wrong with your soil that you have to fix before the plants or seed goes in, so you can wait to give them a boost.

5. cherylad

I was just thinking that since some of the beds are new and have never had anything but grass growing in that spot that maybe the fertilizer would add something to the soil, even with the recently added compost. But... I'll wait until things are settled in before adding the fertilizer.
    thanks!

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cherylad--You mean like improving microbial action in the soil? I quickly goggled organic fertilizers and it said that they are slower to act, and boost microbial action in the soil which then breaks down the organic matter, making it available to plants. Still, I think where your fruit trees responded so quickly I would be afraid that the nutrients would just leach out into the groundwater if applied too early.

Your organic fertilizer sounds great. Good stuff. Wish i had some.....

7. cherylad

thanks Cayuga... you're probably right about it leaching out. Had to ask though!
    The place we bought the fruit trees last year recommended both of the fertilizers. I found them at a local nursery. If I remember correctly it was around $80 for both bags.. each were 40 pounds. So we have alot. I kept part of the labels so I'd remember what to get again. So... I went and grabbed them, and guess what... I saved the application instructions! DUH! :D
    For bed preparation, it says to apply prior to any planting and work into the soil to a depth of 3-4 inches then reapply every 3-4 months.
    For top dressing apply every 3-4 months for Ornamentals, Azaleas, Roses, Perennials, Flowers and Veggies.
    Guess I could have answered my own questions without bugging anyone here! :D

8. Cayuga Morning

Oh! :) I am impressed with your organization!

9. cherylad

Organization is a "disease" with me! :D
    I find it easier to be organized than to try to remember stuff. And I hate looking for something. Drives me nuts! :stew2:

10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, you didn't "bug" anyone here. Due to your question, we learned about two good organic fertilizers and the application rate and timing.
    We also learned that you are highly organized, yet another reason to envy you!